My sister - preggers and traumatized

sunshinegirl

sunshinegirl

My sister just called to tell me the big news that she's pregnant! First, this is a shocker and an oopsie, because she and her husband were completely certain they were done having kids (they have two boys) and he had a vasectomy a few weeks ago. Only...the vasectomy was a couple of weeks late.

But wait, there's more! She's having TWINS! :eek:

It was a funny conversation - she called me an hour after finding out. They had just gotten used to the idea of having another child when they found out it will be double the pleasure. Her husband, a doctor, did the sonogram and when he found a second heartbeat, he had to sit down for a few minutes. LOL

I am so excited to be an aunt all over again (I have 4 nephews and a niece now) but they are still in shock. She asked me to move in for a few months next year to help with the babies. :p

twins! Wow, talk about a whole lotta blessings!!!

congratulations to your family, this is VERY exciting! Even though it was unexpected, I pray that your sis and her husband see the silver lining here ... more ways to spread the love.

meanwhile, enjoy your stint as a nanny – you won't regret spending this time with your sis or her kids!

hugs,

quank

• Author
sunshinegirl

Oh yes, I'm sure they'll come around. They are just having to re-imagine their lives and make adjustments they didn't know they would be making. Their two boys are quite excited that two babies are coming. Their parents just need some time to come around. :)

Funny too, my sis & her husband used to make fun of families with five and more kids - what, couldn't they control themselves? Hadn't they heard of birth control? My other sister joked that that's why they're having twins. Karma. :p

OMG, this was me last year. But not the twins part. My little guy just turned one.

I'm still adjusting. My H's vasectomy was few weeks too late too!

She'll either come around or make herself miserable.

She just needs lots of support. Suggest a pregnancy crisis hotline. I used one when I found out I was pregnant and it helped a lot. We already had three and I had decided that I was definitely done just a few weeks prior and completely signed off on my H's surgery.

I understand what your sister is feeling. I am still trying to figure out where my guy is going to sleep after he turns three. Lots of things change with unexpected pregnancies. And Twins? Wow. Just let her know she will have help and support.

• Author
sunshinegirl

Thanks for weighing in NoIDidn't. It wouldn't have occurred to me to refer her to a crisis hotline...how did they help you, specifically?

They will have lots of support - both sets of (grand)parents live 1-2 hours away, and one of her husband's sisters is local. If all else fails, I told her to ship one of the babies out to me (I live 2000 miles away but close to our other sister who has 3 kids). :laugh:

Thanks for weighing in NoIDidn't. It wouldn't have occurred to me to refer her to a crisis hotline...how did they help you, specifically?

They will have lots of support - both sets of (grand)parents live 1-2 hours away, and one of her husband's sisters is local. If all else fails, I told her to ship one of the babies out to me (I live 2000 miles away but close to our other sister who has 3 kids). :laugh:

No prob, Sunshine. I've been in her shoes, sorta, so I know how overwhelmed and helpless she might be feeling.

People never want to allow a mother to be ambivalent about a pregnancy. Our society treats it like every baby is automatically wanted and loved, no matter the circumstances. But sometimes you have to grow into it. I love my son and wouldn't change a thing about his conception and the timing. But I did have to accept it and go through the uncertainties and the fears first.

The hotlines allow you to talk about your feelings and then they refer you to local groups to help. I never did make it to a Pregnancy Support Meeting, but they do exist in almost all major cities and cities close to them. She should definitely call.

I had terrible panic attacks due to all the other things going on in my life at the time. It was just a bad time to be pregnant. But time went on and I survived all the worse case scenarios that I feared (my FIL did die from cancer, my father did get divorced and leaned heavily on me to get through it, and my mom is still a nut that I love, lol). Your sister will too. She's just gotta be given permission to not like her situation while she comes to grips with it.