Crazy, Greedy, Shopping addicted mother

MzConfused

Ok. So I'm 22 and was forced to move back in with my mom. I was living with my bf at his father and step mothers house, but his step siblings stole over a $1000 worth us stuff from us. Yes, we locked doors and windows, but they break in. So we were FORCED to move in with my mom. With the economy down... we cant afford to rent on our own. My father just passed away two months ago. So my mom asked if we can give her some money for us staying here. So ya, no biggie. BUT heres the problem she acts like shes poor but she's a shopaholic. I'm not even kidding. She loves going to Ross, Walmart, Home Depot... etc. I feel enraged when she tells me that she's poor and cant afford things. When my father was alive she used to hide things or rip off the price tags to hide the price from him.

I really dont know what to do. Its like everyday she's playing a guilt trip on my bf and I. The last time I confronted her about her shopping is the day I moved out(Last Year). I was furious that she says she lives on a budget and but can spend money like its growing on trees. She told me that thats her money, she can do what she wants with her money. I'm at a dead end. I cant say anything right now because she already threatened to kick us out. I told her, but mom we'll be homeless. And she said well you did it to yourself. I think thats truly heartless. We're good kids. We go to college full-time and both have part time jobs. Its not like we're druggy bums that there would be a reason to kick us out.

I try just tuning her out but she'll follow me to my room and start pounding on the door. Anyone have any advice? I'd love to hear from you.

RecordProducer

Just leave her alone. Agree on the amount you need to pay for living there, buy your own food and stuff and let your mom spend her money as it pleases her. You can't straighten her out. Focus on your studies and your BF.

I'd just pay the amount of rent agreed upon. There is no point in engaging her in a war over her habits if it means she's wanting to kick you out.

This is her problem, and as long as the rent is reasonable- I see no reason to fight with her.

• Author

Its not that I just fight with her about it. She tells me that my bf and I think its funny that she's poor and has a hard time to pay things. We do buy our own food and what not but she still complains. Even thou we pay her rent she still complains about us using the stove or taking a shower.

But thank you for your advice.

SpanksTheMonkey
Its not that I just fight with her about it. She tells me that my bf and I think its funny that she's poor and has a hard time to pay things. We do buy our own food and what not but she still complains. Even thou we pay her rent she still complains about us using the stove or taking a shower.

But thank you for your advice.

Well long as the utilities are being payed and nothing gets switched off in the home then shes right what she dose with her extra moneys is her business just ignore it when she starts the drama.

Keep paying the set amount far as her complaining about the stove and shower are you guys using these things in the middle of the night when others are trying to sleep?

Or are you using them and not cleaning up after your selves? or dose she just want more money for the use of the utilities as well? You were a little vague on that one..