Resentment towards child

Wondering Why?

Wondering Why?

I have a 6 1/2 yo son who drives me so crazy that I wonder if I'm an appropriate parent for him. I am a single mom with a live-in boyfriend who works nights so he is not around too much.

I find myself screaming at him and needing to control every aspect of his life. I dread picking him up from school or spending any time with him. Sometimes I wish I never had him, and then I feel enormous guilt for even thinking such a thing.

Help!

The good news is, you can do something about your current situation. The bad news is, you probably won't get instant results. It's going to take some time to get things going in the direction you want them to go. It sounds like you have several issues to deal with.

I reccomend that you get yourself and your child checked by a physician first. Explain to your doctor the difficulties you are having and ask for guidance and referal if nessecary. If your doctor doesn't suggest it, I might also suggest you make an appointment with a family therapist and/or take some parenting classes.

You also have to come to terms with the relationship you have with your boyfriend. Have you talked to him about any of this? Enlist his help. If he won't get on the bandwagon to a better life for you then you may have to ask him to move out. You don't need to be taking care of all three of you.

You are responsible for your own life and happiness as well as that of your child. It's time to get rolling! Don't put off seeking help any longer.

look in the phone book for the local "Parents Anonymous" address and number. These guys have seminars and classes to help people deal with their vocation as parents. If you don't find them there, contact either the local chamber of commerce, the local department of health, the school your child goes to or even your church. Help is out there!

good luck with the parenting

So you don't have any reason to yell and scream? It must be just the day to day activities with him that stress you out.

There is no avoiding raising him and you cannot snap your fingers to make him a full blown adult. I know parenting is tough. Its full time but it is a part of life. You also have to have your breaks, it would be a good idea to higher a sitter. That can allow you to take a breather now and than. You should always take a break from routine so that you can come back refreshed and able to give more love.

As a last resort, talk to your doctor. First, find out what it is you need to better yourself as a parent. Talk to your husband and family. Find activities that would be fun for both you and your son. Do things together that are enjoyable and have meaning. Also find the time for just yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have a nine year old daughter, that as made me feel like a bad mom, a bad person, she made me feel like I couldnt do anything right. She has ADHD and bipolar disorder. She is very emotionally and sometimes so hyper. Ive had to switch schools, I have had to give up many nights of going out becuase no body wanted to keep her. Maybe your going through the same. Notes home from school, mean teachers that blamed me for her behavior... Girl dont blame yourself.... Talk with someone, maybe there is a solution to your problem. Dont give up on motherhood. My daughter went from straight Fs to As and Bs.. So theres hope.

You ever need someone to talk to to email me at <e-mail address removed>