moving out at 18

Mr.Ketman

So ill be 18 in May and im really thinking about moving out of my fathers house and movie to Florida where my grandma and grandpa is also my aunts live there along with 2 of my cousins. I now live in an apartment with my brother(20) and my father. The deal with my father is that hes never really here he goes to his girlfriends house alot and i most of the time go with him. So its just really my brother here at the apartment. I'm thinking about moving to Florida and i need to know some peoples opinions on the whole deal. My brother is 20 but he has a.d.d. and a.d.h.d. The doctors say that even know hes 20 he really had the mind of a 15 maybe 16 year old. So if i where to move to Florida he wants to come also, and what am i gonna tell him no he cant come with me. I don't wanna "take care" of him my entire life, i don't really mind it now seeing as im not around him 24/7, but i can just imagine doing it all the time. I love my brother but being with me 24/7 i just think we will clash heads alot of the time. So if anyone here has experiences along these lines please fill me in let me know what you would do or what you did. You answers will be much help to me and will be taken into deep consideration. Once again thank you for all your help and answers.

I hate to say this, but truly, you are not responsible for your brother.

Your father and mother are responsible for your brother.

If anything were to happen to your father, then something legal might have to be worked out if your brother is deemed insufficiently mentally capable and agile enough, to look after himself.

If there is no legal prerequisite in place, then technically, your brother is an adult and can do what he likes. But you are not legally responsible for him.

I don't think anyone could expect you to morally be responsible for him either.

I realise maybe you feel a little guilty and think you might be abandoning him, but this is something you are going to have to work through.

Have you spoken to your dad, or anyone, about how you feel?

I think you should, if only to bring the question of the legal status of things to the fore.....

Didn't mean my answer to be so heavy, but in this day and age, nothing is ever predictable, and we should expect the unexpected.