My parents' unhappiness

Kamille

Today I realized that my parents are incredibly unhappy. The reasons are multiple, a lot of them related to my mom's lifelong struggle with depression. They seem to have become stuck in their ways of thinking, and the whole thing seems to be turning into a viscious circle.

They've had a fallen off with friends a few months back. According to me, it isn't a big loss. These friends were 'drama' filled, always gossiping about each other. But as a result they seem to have become increasingly bitter. They cannot say anything about anybody that isn't judgemental in some way (ie, they're stuck constantly talking against people).

I don't know what to do or how to help them. Their collective bad mood is often hard to handle. It breaks my heart to see them this way though. Today I suggested they stop talking against people, and focus on finding friends they respect. I don't think they took me seriously: they didn't even realize that every single word they had said about anyone during a 2 hour car-ride was negative. "My mom said: we're not talking against people: we're stating facts".

Anyway: anyone know what to do to help parents over a really rough patch without losing one's sanity?

I would get them socializing alot more, like you suggested, with folks whom they would respect alot more.

• Author
I would get them socializing alot more' date=' like you suggested, with folks whom they would respect alot more.[/quote']

Yeah, I'm trying to think up hobbies or events they could do together where they would meet new people. The next challenge would be convincing them to do whatever hobby or event.