Auntie 10 year broke my coach...issues now

9Lives

How would you handle a situation where your niece came over and broke your coach down the floor. I dont have the money buy another one and her mom said she would take care of it. What should my expectation be? You know how family can get. But I want it replaced. It cost about $500. It was old but still I have no where to sit and neither does my company. She knew her daughter was destructive.

Certainly if the child was not treating your home respectfully by rough housing , the parents should be inclined to pay for a repair or replacement. But wow! A couch? How can you break a couch?? If it can be repaired, that would be all I would ask...if the couch was old it may have been on its way to needing to be replaced. I'm not sure you can expect a new one. Maybe ask her for part of the original purchase price to go towards a replacement. Family is tough.

Find a couch for sale in craigslist.com in your city. People are always moving or relocating and getting rid of furniture that's in good shape at very low prices.

When you find one you like, send the listing to your Aunt and tell her you want to buy that one to replace your couch, and that you need the money quickly because the listings sell fast. Hope for the best.

• Author

That is a great idea. I will do that. Thanks...I'm trying to keep the peace.

Yeah her daughter is very destructive for some reason, she is sloppy, and lazy. Her mom is the same as far as lazy and sloppy. If you went to their house you would throw up