My mum is making my life hell

Mimsicles

Since my dad left my mum 4 years ago, she has turned to alcohol for support, she is in constant bad moods and nothing i do seems to be good enough!

She cannot speak to me without raising her voice, she is constantly shouting at me or picking faults and always tells me and useless and do nothing for her! If i argue back or defend myself she starts crying!

I really think she needs medical help but she just wont listen,

Its got to the stage now that i love it when she goes out as then i have peace and no arguing.

I honestly cant live with her alcohol or moodiness anymore.

Do any of you have any advice for me, as i'm in total despair!!

is there a support group for families of alcoholics that you can join? We've got them in the States – Al Anon & I believe one specifically for teens – and they're designed to help you through times like this. Also, do you have any family members you can entrust with this information ... sibs, aunts/uncles, grandparents? Anyone who can intervene?

are you old enough to go live with a relative, or is that out of the question?

Since my dad left my mum 4 years ago, she has turned to alcohol for support, she is in constant bad moods and nothing i do seems to be good enough!

She cannot speak to me without raising her voice, she is constantly shouting at me or picking faults and always tells me and useless and do nothing for her! If i argue back or defend myself she starts crying!

I really think she needs medical help but she just wont listen,

Its got to the stage now that i love it when she goes out as then i have peace and no arguing.

I honestly cant live with her alcohol or moodiness anymore.

Do any of you have any advice for me, as i'm in total despair!!

I read on your profile that your bdate is 1988. You are an adult and need to find you own space. Your mother may be depressed and she will have to figure that out...as for you, you have to figure things out, too. I imagine she is paying the bills and that is why you are staying. May be hard for her to pay the bills. This may be part of her depression. Don't argue with her, it's HER HOUSE. Can you imagine someone in YOUR HOUSE arguing with you?

Get out on your own and see how hard, and freeing being independant is.

Tell you mother how much you love her. Tell her that you love her so much that you can't stand to see what she is doing to herself, and that you will not tolerate how she abuses you.

Give her information on local AA chapters and therapist who deal with alcohol abuse. Tell her that you will help her recover when she is ready to, but until that time you can't bear to see her destroy herself so you are moving out. If you have to you can move in with a friend or another family member.

You can't make her change. She can only begin to heal when she decides to, when she recognizes the problem. Sometimes it takes tough love.