to old for mom's protectiveness

nickels5

So I'm 21 years old and have only one year of college left. I'm a only child and my mom is an single mom. Two years ago my boyfriend of 2 years and I broke up. While we were dating my mom never liked him she even is a big part of why we broke up. Now my ex and I are talking again and realizing that we still have feelings for each other. Now I don't want to ruin things again with my ex because of my mom but how do I approach her and tell her that I am wanting to see my ex again?

This_Too_Shall_Pass

Your mom is understandably protective of you, even more so because you are all she has.

But you're grown up now, and you have to let her know that you will be making your own decisions.

Tell her that it would be good for you to learn to make your decisions, and that you will become stronger from the lessons you learn. It doesn't mean that her opinions are not valuable to you - you will certainly consider her point of view. But, in the end, she'll be doing you a big favor by letting you learn on your own.

Be honest with her about seeing your ex-BF again. Yes, she will be displeased, but at least you won't be lying or hiding it from her.

oh_what_am_I_doing

Here's what I've come to realize with my many, many failed relationships- Moms want what's best for you and are usually right. We don't like to admit it because we like to think we are good judges of character too, but sometimes when you're too close to a situation, you just can't see what others see. If the two of you broke up already in the past, that makes it all the more obvious. You broke up for a reason... possibly he wasn't treating you good enough and your mom pointed this out to you? I don't know the "why," but I do know that relationships where you're on again, off again are not healthy. Take Mom's advice... find another guy.

While we were dating my mom never liked him she even is a big part of why we broke up.

Why did she never like him? Why was she a big part of why you broke up? Did you not want to break up with him before but only did it because of her? Was she right about him before? If so, have these things that were a problem, changed about him?

Examine your reasons for wanting to date him again. Is it a physical attraction? Emotional? Can you see yourself with this person for the long term? What is it that you like about him? To tell your mother that you want to date him again you need to be able to answer all these questions. She only wants what is best for you. There may or may not be valid reasons she thought he was not good for you. If you don't already know, find out what those reasons are and examine them for yourself.