My Grandfather

My Grandfather is in the hospital. Its bad this time. He and my Grandmother are almost 90 and I guess a part of me thought if they made it this far they would make it forever.

They are some of the most amazing people I have ever met. They were both in World War II and thats where they met and fell in love and have been together ever since. When they got married they had $100 to their name and the first thing they bought was a cocker spaniel and a siamese cat. I love that. All they have ever needed was each other and a few good pets.

To this day, everywhere they go, they hold hands. After a lifetime together they are so deeply in love that it almost makes your heart hurt to look at them. That is the kind of love I strive for in my life. Thats what I want. I want to be 90 and have my husband still flirting with me and holding my hand on the couch and sneaking kisses over the stove.

My Grandpa worked so hard his entire life and loved my Grandmother and all their kids without reservation. I can't imagine this world without him. He has the best sense of humor out of anyone I know and I like to think thats where I get mine. He has always been there for me and I have loved every single visit with him and Grandma. Even when he was lecturing me on the economy. :)

I don't know what my Grandmother will do without him. It seems like they need each other just to breathe. They are never apart and I don't know how long she will hold on without him.

I'm 24.... I should have been expecting this to happen. But I am totally unprepared. And its devastating me and I am stuck thousands of miles away and there is nothing I can do but pray that he makes it and knows how very much I love him.

che_jesse

I lost my father a week ago to pancreatic cancer and even though we knew it was comeing for 8 months and watched the horrible cycles of chemo and pain we still were not prepaired when he passed. Untill hospice called and told us he had passed some part of me always belived the cancer would go into remission.

I dont think anyone is ever prepaired to loose someone so close and so much a part of their lives but atleast you can take comfort in knowing what a full life your grandfather lived.

This_Too_Shall_Pass

Audrey, keep the faith that everything happens for a reason.

Don't deny the inevitable, and you will be able to cope with the outcome better, whatever it is.

I can imagine how much you'd miss someone you are very close to. He'll always be there for you, through the words he has said to you and what he has taught you about life in general.

Stay strong for your grandmother, it is she who would be feeling the most anxious at this time.

Try not to worry too much. I hope everything goes well.