My dad just had a stroke

alphamale

OMG...The last 5 hrs have been a nightmarish dream. I was over at my dad's and him and my aunt were getting ready to go out. I'm in the den messing around on LS and she calls my name once and I reply back but she doesn't hear me. She calls me again louder "There's something wrong with your Dad, Alpha..."

I jump out of my seat go upstairs and there he is standing in front of his bdrm door holding his left arm up and he says..."Alpha, I think I had a stroke". Left side of his face doesn't look right. I'm thinking holy krap! He's a doctor and must know what he's talking about.

So I dial 911 and the parameds arrive in 5 minute flat and take him to hospital. I spend 4 hrs there with my aunt and youngest brother. They wouldn't let us stay in the room cause he's in ICU.

Seems he had a mild stoke and they did a CT Scan and started him on TPA (clot buster drug).

I don't know what to do. I'm still in shock while i write this. I want to cry but I can't....

Sorry to hear about this. I've been through it a number of times with the ex's dad. Best thing for you is to show him you're in control and that you will take care of the family if anything happens to him. It will help to relieve his concerns and any stress he might be feeling over not being the strong man for the family.

You did the right thing by getting your dad to the hospital as quickly as possible. You may have saved his life but certainly kept the stroke damage to a minimum.

What you can do now is keep your cool and stop worrying. That's the only way you can be supportive and be there for him in the coming months. He will have to watch his lifestyle, his diet, his blood pressure, etc. He will have to keep his salt (sodium) intake to a minimum. Stress will have to be minimized in his life.

Read the basics about strokes from authoritative Internet sites and make sure he does everything possible to prevent further occurrences. Not to worry you, but the next one could be much worse. It's not too late to get him on track. Pay close attention to what the doctors tell you and what you read. Make sure your father is totally compliant with all he is told to do and medications he may be given.

Keep your cool. Your dad and your family need you now...and you can't be there for them if you're head is in chaos.

I'm so sorry, sweets.

The only thing you can do is stay strong and be there for your dad and for your family. You did good to get the paramedics there right away and get your dad to the hospital. They'll take care of him.

Wishing you all the best, and wishing your dad a quick recovery.

My aunt had a stroke more than a dozen years ago when she was visiting us. She was able to do everything except speak other than to say 'hello' and 'hi' - she was bit of a mischief so we thought she was putting us on. Finally she managed to say 'my right arm' and then we realized she was in trouble and got her to the hospital. She lost the use of her right hand for a while but got everything back. So that your dad was awake and able to tell you what happened was good. He should be perfectly ok but will certainly have to keep a healthy lifestyle.

So sorry to hear this happened. Hope he is OK. I'm sure he is grateful you were there with him and acted so quickly.

• Author

i'm in a total adrenaline haze right now...i guess it will take some time to figure out the extent of the damage. it wasn't a major stroke but he did get very very lucky.

the_alchemyst

I'm sorry to hear this, alpha. :(

Your reaction to the situation was great, and now all that's left is to wait until your dad gets better and well. :)

I will keep both you and he in my thoughts.

• Author
I'm sorry to hear this, alpha. :(

thank you...

Your reaction to the situation was great, and now all that's left is to wait until your dad gets better and well. :).

weirdest thing is this happened while I was on LS

Hey Alpha......

Sorry to hear about your Dad..it sure was a good thing you were there for him

Let us know how he is doing as he gets better...and if you need to rap.. pm me..

• Author
You ought to try and get some sleep..

I laid down for 45 min and still can't sleep. My mind is racing with thoughts of what happened. My metabolism is running amok.

the_alchemyst

Do you drink tea, alpha?

Maybe it'll help you relax so you can get some rest.

You need to be rested so that you're well when your dad gets all better.

RE:

I'm sorry to hear the bad news, Alphamale. Hope things are looking good, and do hang in there.

I was at a hospital a while back. There was a lady there, who just had a stroke and was in the process of recovering. Part of her body was under malfunction, [half her body wasn't working] and would eventually be transferred to a seniors' home.

The entire time I was there, her family was all around her. But I could sense it -she was going to be a burden for them. I felt the lack of compassion in the room.

It was very disturbing to me, to say the least.

Don't think this is a burden for you. Like Johan said, 'a wake up call'.

Regards,

Sand&Water

• Author

i just woke up. got maybe 3.5 hrs of sleep. my middle brother just came in from chicago. he's heading out there and I will be soon...

thanks for everyones thoughts.

I'm so sorry to hear this alpha. I hope your father makes a full and speedy recovery. :o

Go ahead and try to cry- put on a sad movie or think of your saddest memory if you have to. Sometimes crying a bit just helps relieve the tension so you can relax.