Separation

I have been lurking and I decided to post. My husband and I have been together for 10 years and married only 2 of those years. He decides he needs a separation because he is not happy and he knows I'm not either. He goes on to say that he needs to work on himself because he doesn't feel like he is living up to what he should be.(huh?) He also feels like he has never really been on his own and wants to make sure that marriage is what he wants. Because as it stands now he can't be really sure. He says he knows he stills loves me and that I am his best friend but doesn't know if he wants to be married. My husband is 27 and I am trying to be understanding and give him his space. Because after I think about what he said it is all true. He went from living with his Dad to living with me. Him 18 and me 21 with two kids. I think I may have took on the mother role and never let him grow up and be man. Don't get me wrong he is a very loving and caring person but this has not been a picnic for me either. There were times when I wanted to walk out the door and not look back but I stuck it out. Because I believe that's what you do when you want a marriage to work. I guess my mistake was(and his) not talking about it. Now I want to talk about it and his is so fed up he doesn't want to talk about now. He wants to wait until our counseling appt which won't be until a couple weeks. I am trying so hard to give him space but I feel like I screwed up and I don't know what to do. We now have 4 kids. 2 mine and 2 ours. He also has a daughter. He is still very much there for the kids he takes them to school everyday and picks them up. Even my oldest who is involved in everything he can in high school, he make sure he is picked up. I guess I just wanted to get feedback on how to give him space without pushing futher away.(Another complaint he had was that he didn't feel like he mattered and that he was just there to be there) Any feedback is appreciated. And thanks for just letting vent this here. I feel a little better just seeing it in type instead of flowing around in my head.