He signed the papers, is it to late???

My brother recently got divorced, and to say he got taken to the cleaners is the understatement of the century. I could give you lots of gory details, and believe me, they are horrific, but possibly irrelavent. His lawyer STUNK!!! And my brother, who is only in town on the weekends, signed the dumb papers. He got screwed. Can he get a new lawyer and appeal, or since he signed the papers, is it over?

Does he feel he got screwed? Were children involved that he got screwed on custody? Is he paying some type of alimony that is unfair? Or was it just the division of material assets where you feel he got taken to the cleaners?

Personally, as far as material assets go, yeah, I got hosed in my divorce. But it was worth it to get it over with quickly and be able to move on with my life. Maybe he feels that way too?

• Author
Does he feel he got screwed?

This is a fair question. I haven't actually talked to him, just my mom and aunt.

Were children involved that he got screwed on custody? Is he paying some type of alimony that is unfair? Or was it just the division of material assets where you feel he got taken to the cleaners?

There are kids. He gets them on the weekends, which is fair since he's only home then. Of course they aren't allowed to spend the night with him and have to be back at their mother's at 7pm on Saturday. How it is:

He's pays child support (appropriate)

He keeps the kids on his insurance

He pays 85% of their doctor bills

He pays the house payment (she and her lover and his kids live there)

He pays the house insurance

He pays HER truck payment

He pays HER truck insurance

They were suppossed to file 2004 taxes together, he's given his stuff to the CPA, but she hasn't and if he files anyway he'll be in contempt of court.

He is so out of money that when my mom went to visit, he showered in her hotel because he can't afford electricity. We have no way to reach him because he can't afford a phone.

Personally, as far as material assets go, yeah, I got hosed in my divorce. But it was worth it to get it over with quickly and be able to move on with my life. Maybe he feels that way too?

Maybe, I haven't talked to him, but my mom doesn't think so. We are worried about a nervous break down, and possibly worse.

He's pays child support (appropriate)

He keeps the kids on his insurance

He pays 85% of their doctor bills

He pays the house payment (she and her lover and his kids live there)

He pays the house insurance

He pays HER truck payment

He pays HER truck insurance

If this is what he agreed to then he did get hosed.. and if the chidren are not allowed to sleepover there must a reason.. Judges just don't pull that from someone unless there is a good reason..ie: he drinks like a fish or does drugs.

Personally I think that you ought to talk to your brother about it instead of getting all your info 3rd or 4th handed.

You are just helping to spread any rumors until you here it from the horses mouth.

Just my 2 pennies

• Author
and if the chidren are not allowed to sleepover there must a reason.. Judges just don't pull that from someone unless there is a good reason..ie: he drinks like a fish or does drugs.

My understanding is because he doesn't have a stable living arrangement is why the kids aren't allowed to spend the night. Like I said before, the place he is staying doesn't even have electricity. He made some passing comment when someone asked why there wasn't any booze at his 40th birthday party about not having had a beer or any other alcohol in 15 years, so I don't think he drinks like a fish. I guess I don't know about drugs.

Personally I think that you ought to talk to your brother about it instead of getting all your info 3rd or 4th handed.

You are just helping to spread any rumors until you here it from the horses mouth.

True, but he doesn't have a phone, and he isn't calling me. I'm just trying to find out all I can about his options so I can pass it on to my mom so that if he calls her, then she can give him better informed advice. I'm not talking to anybody (other than my fiance and this board) about his problems.

My sister's husband got screwed when he divorced his first wife. He got a new lawyer but the orders didn't change. (I don't know all of the particulars.) So, I do know that a person can try to get the divorce agreement rectified. He also tried suing his first lawyer for not doing his job, but that didn't work well, either.

As it stands, he and her new husband work at the same (highly recognized) company.

He has to keep her on his insurance, even though her new husband could put her on his insurance.

He has to pay her alimony, even though she got married BEFORE the divorce was final. And she was not required to look for work/get a job. (Their kids are all grown and out of the house.)

She gets at least 50% of his pension. (I'm not sure my sister would be entitled to any of it.)

She (and her new hubby) now have a second home (in Florida, I think), along with a boat, etc., etc.

Go figure . . .