Old Wedding Rings?

Wookin Pa Nub

What do divorced people do with their wedding rings? I have a simple gold band. I could get a little something for it. My gf (also going thru divorce) has substantial diamond from her marriage. It's a replacement ring as her extremely large original engagement ring was stolen a couple years ago.

She was thinking about giving it to one of her daughters but she wants to sell it.

Everyone is different. Some throw it in the canal, some keep it in the loft, some sell it, some give it to their kids.

I sold mine through one of those online gold sellers. Not the rubbish rip-off ones, but one that paid a fair price. You can look up the value of gold per gram and try to get close to that.

Your gf can do with as she pleases with hers. Her daughter might like it since it's a part of her life but then again it will be a reminder of her parents failed marriage, and if it's a cheap replacement, it's probably not a family heirloom. I would say ask the daughter if she would like it, and if not, sell it.

Good question. I have been wondering about the engagement ring my ex has that cost me booku bucks.:) I put my ring in my generic jewelry box never to look at again.

I have been wondering about the engagement ring my ex has that cost me booku bucks.:)

If the marriage went ahead then it's hers to do with as she pleases.

If the marriage didn't go ahead then usually the engagement ring gets returned, since it is a part of the verbal contract to marry. If the contract gets cancelled, for any reason, then the ring gets returned.

That's what Judge Judy says anyway, so it must be true.

• Like 1
somanymistakes

Laws vary by location on engagement rings so it's best to check.

In some US states, if you give her an engagement ring and the relationship breaks up before the marriage, what happens to the ring depends on 'fault'. If you gave her the ring and then dumped her, she keeps it. If you gave her the ring and she cheated, she has to give it back.

In other US states, the ring is a gift and it's hers no matter what.

And yes, in some states, if the marriage was cancelled for ANY reason then the ring has to be returned.

So don't take a single online answer as your guideline, google something like: engagement ring breakup new jersey (or wherever) and look for legal advice.

As for what people do with wedding rings after a divorce, a lot of folks suggest something like craigslist where you can direct sell to someone who wants a ring for their own needs. Others would rather have the ring physically destroyed as a symbol.

ExW had the main diamond from H2 made into a necklace. It was a marquise, common in the 80's. The RB I got her likely went to a necklace or ear stud. IDK what she'd have done with the eternity wedding band. Doubt she chucked it though. She likes the shiny stuff.

I still have my gold band. Wear it sometimes when I want the ladies to hit on me ;)

It's up to her.... Personally I would save the stone as an heirloom.

The stone in my ring was given to my husband by a family member - and I love the vintage stone and that has a tie to his family.

If the marriage went ahead then it's hers to do with as she pleases.

That's what Judge Judy says anyway, so it must be true.

By this point...the contract to marry is pretty much....kaput? (but, admittedly...I'm no Judge Judy)

I had my ex's engagement ring when she left. It was appraised and they offered me a goodly amount of money for it. But I gave it back to her anyway. Seemed like the right thing to do at the time. (hindsight is always 20/20)

I see no right or wrong here.

It's personality driven. One man's opinion.

What do divorced people do with their wedding rings?

My divorce was final in 1997. I pawned her wedding ring for $1500. When new it cost me $5000. What a gyp.

oh yea I sold the other engagement ring too

if you don't get married aren't you supposed to give engagement rings back? or were you married and divorced twice?

I think I keeping mine, don't know why. I'm more sentimental like that even though it was a long hurtful miserable marriage.

I'm sure my wife is selling hers though. Just how she is.