Getting an annulment

Hello,

Any help will be appreciated. My marriage is ending. It was not consummated and I am returning to England where I am from. My husband is American and we got married in Florida. My plan is to get an annulment when I return to England. I have checked and it is legal and doable even if the marriage was in Florida. The only requirement is that I will have to send him notice of the proceedings and he will have the opportunity to respond. However, I am wondering if the annulment will be recognized in the US. If anyone knows this answer to this, I would be most grateful.

Thanks,

Lissy

Don't know the answer but if your husband doesn't contest it you can probably get an annulment in Florida quite easily unless it has been a long time since you were married.

• Author

Thank youJj66, I appreciate your reply. I think I will speak to an attorney tomorrow to see if it's easier to get it done here before I leave.

curiouslysearching

Lissy,

What went wrong so soon after being married?

If that is ok to ask?

Simple Logic
Hello,

Any help will be appreciated. My marriage is ending. It was not consummated and I am returning to England where I am from. My husband is American and we got married in Florida. My plan is to get an annulment when I return to England. I have checked and it is legal and doable even if the marriage was in Florida. The only requirement is that I will have to send him notice of the proceedings and he will have the opportunity to respond. However, I am wondering if the annulment will be recognized in the US. If anyone knows this answer to this, I would be most grateful.

Thanks,

Lissy

For the US State Dept website:

A foreign judgment of divorce generally is recognized in a state in the United States on the basis of legal reciprocity where both parties had notice of the divorce proceeding and an opportunity to be heard within these proceedings. Marriage and divorce generally are considered matters reserved to the states rather than to the federal government.

Specific questions regarding the validity of foreign divorces in particular states in the United States should be referred to the office of the Attorney General of the state in question. It may be necessary to retain the services of a private attorney if the office of the state Attorney General does not provide such assistance to private citizens.

• Like 1

An attorney is your best friend here. Of course they will charge you for every word they speak but ultimately, it's worth the cost.

LostHubby2015

Perhaps I'm confused as to the term annulment in this context. But i'm personally catholic and it has long been my understanding that an annulment is to "dissolve" a marriage in the sense of religious purposes. Technically from the religious construct it simply means a wedding did in fact take place, but the necessary requirements for it to be a valid marriage in the eyes of the church were not present. Thus it was never a valid marriage, in the eyes of the church, in the first place and "doesn't count".

That said i would have to an assume an annulment would be considered worldwide (again from what i know as an annulment in the religious sense).

If there's some sort of annulment from a legal aspect that i'm naive too then that i can't speak to.

Edited by LostHubby2015