Newly Divorced, issues with visitation for kids

I have a big issue with my ex hub.

I have 3 kids with him, we were married 20 years. Since we split up 10 months ago and went through our divorce, he has been homeless. He has no where to take the kids for a weekend visit or any thing else. He claims he can't afford to get anything because he pays too much in child support (whatever :rolleyes:)

Anyway... Since we split I have been VERY nice, probably too nice. I let him into my home everyday to see the kids. He has taken advantage of this to the extreme. He has stolen my house key ( one of my kids' keys) and let himself in when the kids and I aren't home, he has snooped through my computer and taken pictures of messeges on my facebook account, why I don't know since there isn't anything that interesting on there. He eats my food, uses my shower and sometimes his dirty clothes ends up mixed with my kids clothes and I end up washing it.

I have told him he can not come to my home any more, and he always says, "you can't keep me away from my kids", I tell him i'm not keeping him away from them and tell him he can just have them on normal scheduled visits and he throws a tantrum about how he can not afford his own place. He will stop coming by when I'm home for awhile, but he will come over if I'm at work at the kids are home. And of course the kids will let him in, its their dad.

What do I do? I need space from him, I need him to grow up and accept responsibility. My friends are telling me to get a protection order, but he isn't physically violent, so not sure thats possible. Plus, I really don't want my kids to think I'm keeping them from their dad if I have to take steps like that.

• Author

Ok, maybe I should have clarified my question better. I have obviously changed the locks and not given anyone a key.

My question is, how do I get him to accept boundaries? How can I get him to understand that yes, our kids live here, but this is MY home and not his to come in and do as he pleases? How do I get him to stop snooping through my things?

Since you have told him this and he won't abide I would talk to an attorney at this point. Maybe legal action will get through to him. If you have changed the locks why do you continue to let him in your house. This is as much your fault as his.

This is something I would email my attorney over or call your local police non-emergency number to get advice on. I know you don't want to get him in trouble but feeling some ramifications might be the only way to enforce it.

• Like 1

Place a camera in your home that alerts you of any activity - you can view what's happening in the home in real time.

Call the police every single time he trespasses. EVERY time!

How is he entering if he doesn't have a key? Have you changed the passcode on the garage door opener?

Consequences for every time he crosses the boundary is the only way to get him to stay away.

Don't you have a passcode on your electronics?

Don't you have a lock on your bedroom doors bathroom doors that would require a key? You can get a new handle that requires a key from a hardware store. They are easy to change out.

I have 3 kids with him, we were married 20 years. Since we split up 10 months ago and went through our divorce, he has been homeless. He has no where to take the kids for a weekend visit or any thing else. He claims he can't afford to get anything because he pays too much in child support (whatever :rolleyes:)

Anyway... Since we split I have been VERY nice, probably too nice. I let him into my home everyday to see the kids. He has taken advantage of this to the extreme. He has stolen my house key ( one of my kids' keys) and let himself in when the kids and I aren't home, he has snooped through my computer and taken pictures of messeges on my facebook account, why I don't know since there isn't anything that interesting on there. He eats my food, uses my shower and sometimes his dirty clothes ends up mixed with my kids clothes and I end up washing it.

I have told him he can not come to my home any more, and he always says, "you can't keep me away from my kids", I tell him i'm not keeping him away from them and tell him he can just have them on normal scheduled visits and he throws a tantrum about how he can not afford his own place. He will stop coming by when I'm home for awhile, but he will come over if I'm at work at the kids are home. And of course the kids will let him in, its their dad.

What do I do? I need space from him, I need him to grow up and accept responsibility. My friends are telling me to get a protection order, but he isn't physically violent, so not sure thats possible. Plus, I really don't want my kids to think I'm keeping them from their dad if I have to take steps like that.

He is homeless? And you want to get a protection order? Very destructive. Not just to your dynamic but also to your kids.

Ok, maybe I should have clarified my question better. I have obviously changed the locks and not given anyone a key.

My question is, how do I get him to accept boundaries? How can I get him to understand that yes, our kids live here, but this is MY home and not his to come in and do as he pleases? How do I get him to stop snooping through my things?

Have the kids see their dad at grandma/grandpa maybe.

• Author

I don't want to get a protection order because I don't want to end up hurting my kids in this situation.... my friends have suggested it though.

I wish the grandparent idea was one that would work, but they all live in a different state, so it would be very hard to do.

He came over again last night after I left for work. I hate when he's here because I never know how much he snooped through or what he stole this time. This is MY home, I shouldn't feel that my things are not safe. I just don't know how to get him to understand the boundries.

When you say it's your home, could you elaborate a bit more? Was it the marriage dwelling? Did you purchase it? Was it given to you in divorce? Or do you still jointly own and you call it "yours" because he let you stay there?

Some of these things will help you sort how you deal qith him legally or maybe how he views and frames things.

I don't want to get a protection order because I don't want to end up hurting my kids in this situation.... my friends have suggested it though.

I wish the grandparent idea was one that would work, but they all live in a different state, so it would be very hard to do.

He came over again last night after I left for work. I hate when he's here because I never know how much he snooped through or what he stole this time. This is MY home, I shouldn't feel that my things are not safe. I just don't know how to get him to understand the boundries.

Can you give info on how he's getting in? How old are your kids?

Who is in charge when you're at work?

You will HAVE to get a protective order if you want him staying out of the home! Do that!!!

Why are you being his willing victim? Take action!

Can you answer questions asked if you in this thread? We need info from you to help you.

Have the police drop by and ask for info on what you can do. Then do what they suggest.

• Author
Can you give info on how he's getting in? How old are your kids?

Who is in charge when you're at work?

My 14 year old daughter watches her little brothers while I'm at work, after they get home from school.

You will HAVE to get a protective order if you want him staying out of the home! Do that!!!

Why are you being his willing victim? Take action!

Mostly I haven't taken action because I don't want it to feel like I'm not letting the kids see their dad, I don't want my kids to be punished because he doesn't understand bounderies.

Can you answer questions asked if you in this thread? We need info from you to help you.

Have the police drop by and ask for info on what you can do. Then do what they suggest.

The home we live in now is mine, its my apartment with my name on the lease only. We lived in a home together but when we split he couldn't afford it on his own, nor could I. So it was sold, and now the kids and I live in a 3 bedroom apartment.

The thing is - the kids seeing the way he is must be a very negative example he is setting for them.

File a protective order and have him arrested.

Your kids need to know that YOU are protecting them from him and his way of life!

Take action!!!

Your kids should not be exposed to his homelessness andwhengegetsa homeand begins to live again - that would be an appropriate time to have visitation with the kids.

If needed - put locks on every knob to each door in your home. IF he enters - he won't have access to every room in the house!

Do things to provide a safe environment in your home. Meet with the police ahead of time to alert them to your ex husbands unwanted visits - they can provide valuable info and possibly patrol the area a bit when you're at work.

Get the lawyers involved. Look you're a great person and kind, allowing him to spend time with the kids since he has no home to bring them to, it's great you let him into yours. He's been a dick and taken advantage, been nosy and went behind your back to sneak into your house after stealing the key. That's not cool at all. He needs his own place!

Doesn't he have a sister or brother, a good friend or another family member he can live with? Or rent a room? You two are divorced and he's not your problem anymore.

DO NOT allow him in the house anymore. Number one rule, he can pick the kids up and take them to a movie.

You don't have to order a PO against him, just talk to your lawyer and set up new rules with visitation. This isn't about hurting your kids, it's about him respecting, understanding YOUR boundaries. He is hurting them by his own actions (taking their keys/stealing in their home and then breaking in by using a key when no one is home!). Tell him NOT to come over anymore, be firm. NO more miss nice woman. He doesn't deserve to be trusted until he can prove he can be a good father and stay out of your personal life, let alone your home.

He claims he can't afford to get anything because he pays too much in child support (whatever :rolleyes:)

That says a lot about what you think about this whole thing.... the rest is just fluff. Reveling in the fact that he is homeless, and if the kids suffer from it is ok with you. shame.

If the house was sold and money was split, where did hd use that money ? If you could buy a 3 bedroom apartment, then he too could buy atleast 2 bedroom apartment. Hd is probably stashing away money and using it as an excuse to keep coming back.

He knows that for the kids sake, you will let him in. Speak to your kids. They are smarter than we think.

• Author

He finally found an apartment. So Yesterday I called him to tell him that he can no longer come to my home to see the kids, and he can start his regularly scheduled visitations.

He threw a fit, about how he wants to come to my place to see the children because his place is too small for all three kids. I stood firm and told him I can not trust him in my home so he isn't allowed here.

After our conversation he then text messaged our daughter and told her, "Your mom doesn't want me to see you guys anymore"

I was livid, and called him to scream at him. Now he's going to try and pit the kids against me to see if he can get his way. After a few minutes of arguing he said he had a "right to be here to see what men I'm bringing in and out of my home around his kids."

Long story short he confessed the reason he hangs around all the time is because he doesn't want me to move on. He wants to make sure I'm available for him if he decides he wants to come back... wtf?! It will NEVER happen.

I am beyond irritated, and just over his crap....

Well too bad for him. He doesn't get to dictate your life. Stick to your guns and make him take the kids out for visitation.

• Like 2

He does have the right to see his kids per the visitation order. That order does not allow him to enter your home. Call the police and make a report. Have the police issue him a criminal trespass notice. It is a notice that documents he has been warned not to enter your home and he will be arrested if he does. In most states trespassing is a misdemeanor, but the court will straighten him out.

Edited by Simple Logic
40somethingGuy

Cut him slack on child support so he can have a respectable apartment. Do you really want his/your kids to see him homeless?

Cut him slack on child support so he can have a respectable apartment. Do you really want his/your kids to see him homeless?

Disagree. Don't EVER volunteer to cut down on child support. Worst possible move. There is no guarantee that he will use the money to find a better apartment. A divorced person doesn't usually have best interest in mind, especially when they feel that they are losing control on ex.

OP, he wants to harass you and keep you upset. Good luck.

• Like 3
The home we live in now is mine, its my apartment with my name on the lease only. We lived in a home together but when we split he couldn't afford it on his own, nor could I. So it was sold, and now the kids and I live in a 3 bedroom apartment.
I don't really understand this. Your ex doesn't have either a rent or a mortgage, or utility bills or furniture expenses or much of anything else, to hear you tell it. You've moved into an apartment which presumably costs less. There should be MORE money, not less.

So the only new expense is child support, so if he can't find a place to live on whatever remains, you must either be taking a boatload or money every month, or, his income has dwindled dramatically, or he's hoarding cash.

I don't get it.

• Author

Quite honestly I have no idea what he does with his money, I am not getting a huge amount from him for child support (about a quarter of his checks biweekly). I know he has had five girlfriends since we split, and I know occasionally he will rent hotel rooms for him and his current girlfriend to spend the night together in. His current girlfriend is married so they can't go to her place obviously.

I figure it's not my problem what he does with his money, but my problem is how it effects my kids. I'm not ok with him being homeless, but if he can't grow up and be responsible how is that my fault?