Legal In-House Separation

Is there anyone, someone in Virginia who has actually experienced this situation of the in-house separation?

I assume there are no "separation police", so give me examples of what actually goes on.

Thank you!

GorillaTheater

Is your question about the legal aspects of separation in the same house specific to Virginia, or is it more about day-to-day practicalities of sharing a house while legally separated in general?

Since Virginia apparently doesn't grant 'legal separations', what is the form of separation you and your partner/spouse have agreed to?

If you're seriously looking to dissolve the partnership, unless you and your partner/spouse are the epitome of amicable, I'd strongly suggest an avenue other than in-house practical separation. Otherwise, at some point, either socially or legally, things will go sideways.

A VA attorney is the best source of the legal options and ramifications. As an example of the practical ones, before exW and I divorced, even though the divorce was amicable, she had a new boyfriend moved into the house she received in the divorce. How would that have gone with an in-house separation? Can you see your spouse/partner with a new bed and board-mate in your domicile? Possible!

Raphine:

Please consult a family law attorney in Virginia to find out exactly what you need to do to prove that you've been legally separated for 6 months and can then proceed with a divorce.

It's possible that as long as you file the correct paperwork and forms, nobody will ever ask you about the details of what you did or didn't do while "separated".

Although you didn't say much about your situation, I'll describe a few situations that might match yours and why you ask the question.

A couple wants a divorce but has reasons why one can't move out and live separately. So you make arrangements to live in the same home and still have that count as 6 months of separation required before divorce proceedings.

But maybe your home is small so you want/need to continue to sleep in the same bed even though you never have sex. Or maybe you sleep in separate bedrooms, but you have sex together sometime during those 6 months.

So you're wondering what kind of proof is required that you are following the "letter of the law" and the "spirit of the law". That's why you need to consult an attorney.

• Like 1
That's why you need to consult an attorney.

[]

Like brain surgery, best left to the experts. Since many attorneys offer an initial free consultation, not much downside in making an appointment...

Mr. Lucky

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
Unnecessary