What did you do with the ring?

Curious as to what people did with the wedding bands and engagement rings. I have the engagement ring that I gave to my soon to be ex. I want to sell it. Does any one have any ideas or prior experiences.

PegNosePete

I did the mature, sensible thing, and sold it. But sometimes I think the cathartic experience of throwing it into the canal might have been worth the paltry £100 or so I got for it.

minimariah

kept it - both my engagement ring & wedding ring - and had it stored. along with the rest of my wedding stuff, our pictures & wedding dress; all memories for our daughter to have.

the other "wedding" ring from a looooong relationship - we were never married but it was common-law... i sold it.

PegNosePete
If you sold it did you just go to a neighborhood jewelry store, eBay, etc.

I sent it to one of those online gold sellers. There's a lot of scam ones around so read reviews and choose wisely. Make sure you get a decent price cos many of them will offer only about 10% of the value!!

kept it - both my engagement ring & wedding ring - and had it stored. along with the rest of my wedding stuff, our pictures & wedding dress; all memories for our daughter to have.

You kept all those things from a marriage ending in divorce? It would seem the value of the "memories" would be somewhat diluted by the outcome...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 3
Angelica21

I kept mine temporarily to have the diamonds and gold re-combined with some other diamonds and gold that I had, and made a pretty "fashion" ring to wear on my other hand.

Because they were combined with several other items, I don't associate the new ring as my wedding and engagement rings. If the wedding and engagement rings had been my only items, I would've sold them rather than re-doing them.

SammySammy

I kept it for about two years. Then sold it and bought a camera, lenses and other equipment for my photography hobby. Things that make me happy. :)

At the risk of trailing off into sex forum territory, I've squirted and creamed on them before. :) It actually helps to demistify them and take away their power, as well as disperse some of the stigma associated with their transformation from diamond to coal. (It's obvs for the more bitter divorces tho, not the equitable ones.)

After that's done it can become easier - figuratively lol - to just take them off.

• Like 1
minimariah
You kept all those things from a marriage ending in divorce? It would seem the value of the "memories" would be somewhat diluted by the outcome...

not at all -- divorce does not mean that the ENTIRE marriage was worthless + our relationship today is friendly ans we never reached the point of hating or resenting each other; we coped with everything very well. that was one huuuuge & significant part of my marriage, it honestly never even occurred to me to get rid of EVERYTHING that reminded me of it - and i wanted to keep all of it for my daughter so she'll have a "look" into that part of her parents lives.

i personally appreciate very much my parents wedding rings, pictures and outifts - and they're divorced. so it wil probably be important to my daughter, too.

Edited by minimariah
  • Like 3
it honestly never even occurred to me to get rid of EVERYTHING that reminded me of it

I wouldn't advocate that either. But I can say there's a lot more retained from my happy, ongoing 2nd marriage than there was from my WW plagued first.

Glad what you're doing works for you and yours :cool: ...

Mr. Lucky

compulsivedancer

I still have mine, but I'll get rid of them eventually. They're not worth anything, but I don't want to throw them away either. Maybe my boyfriend and I will scrap ours together. I've always hated the wedding ring, so it's not a loss, but I'm not sure i want to get rid of the engagement ring.

I'm planning to sell the wedding dress, but there are a few odds and ends I'd like to keep.

mizunomead

I tossed mine. Its not worth much of anything. Actually i got rid of all wedding stuff. The ex took all of it, she asked me if i wanted any of it, i said nope, thanks but no thanks, so she boxed it all and took it all to her parents for storage.

Michelle ma Belle

I have a gorgeous set that I still keep stored away in a safe place. I could probably sell it and make a lot of money or have it reset into something else I could wear I guess. But I can't. Despite how unhappy most of my marriage was, I just can't bare to do either of those. We were happy once, especially when that ring was purchased and the promises it held so to get rid of it or dismantle it just seems wrong to me.

I do have my mushy moments I guess :/

• Like 1
Curious as to what people did with the wedding bands and engagement rings. I have the engagement ring that I gave to my soon to be ex. I want to sell it. Does any one have any ideas or prior experiences.

I still have my wedding band and it's in the jewelry box with the rest of my stuff. About the only thing I wear out of there is my watches so the other stuff is untouched for years.

My exW had her engagement ring from H2 made into a pendant. Had the diamond re-mounted and the gold swapped for a setting and chain, at a cost. She still wore it while we were married. I have no idea what she did with the rings I gave her. I could see her re-mounting the diamond from the engagement ring but that antique eternity wedding band wouldn't really be usable so maybe she sold it.

If your exF gave you back the engagement ring, if it's got a gem mountable into a more male setting, one idea that came to mind is something I have in my collection, a tie-tack. I've been watching all of Trump's SS staff with their ties blowing in the breeze and remembered that was a great way to still the tie and also look sharp with a nice diamond tie-tack.

If your business is finished and there's no emotional attachment, that, or something similar could work. It's, at the core, just a thing. We create the attachment and memory.

• Like 1
  • Author

I'm amazed at how many people want to hold on and keep some of these items. I can't wait to erase every existing memory. I don't want a reminded of something that is painful.

• Like 1

I'm not divorced myself but I remember that when after my parents got divorced my mom sold her ring and we went on a little trip with the money we got for it. We used the leftovers for chinese food haha.

my dad on the other hand still has his wedding band. He doesn't wear it but he doesn't want to get rid of it either.

At the risk of trailing off into sex forum territory, I've squirted and creamed on them before. :) It actually helps to demistify them and take away their power, as well as disperse some of the stigma associated with their transformation from diamond to coal. (It's obvs for the more bitter divorces tho, not the equitable ones.)

After that's done it can become easier - figuratively lol - to just take them off.

This cracks me up.

`I`m having a `woman`s period` (If i was a woman)......

• Like 1

I took the wedding ring off when I found out he'd cheated, threw it at him and said he could give it to his [affair partner] to wear next time they wanted a dirty weekend together. I don't know what he did with it.

I sold the engagement ring. :)

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
Language
The_Onceler

I was engaged once, years ago. I bought her a nice diamond - not terribly huge, but a brilliant, near perfect stone. I think I spent about $5k on it (back in 1998).

Not long after we were engaged, I found that she was wheeling and dealing online to trade up - she wanted at least two carats on her finger, not the paltry 1.25 I had provided.

Weeks later, when our engagement fell apart, she threw the diamond at me during a tantrum. Later, she told me that I needed to return it to her. I didn't, of course.

Still, I never sold it, just on principal, since I would get pennies on the dollar. I figured I might re-set the stone as a pendant or something as a gift for my sister (she intends to remain single for her entire life, so I don't worry about the karma).

I held onto mine for years, not really sure what to do with it. The diamond solitaire is quite big and the color and quality is beautiful. I didn't want to sell it and get a minuscule amount so I decided to have it reset into a pendant and gift it my only daughter.

I'm planning to keep my engagement ring and occasionally wear it on my right hand-- it is an oval aquamarine (my favorite stone) with diamonds in the band.

I specifically chose to have a 2 mm plain wedding band, so it probably isn't worth a lot, cash-wise. Right now, it's just sitting in my jewelry box.