New break up, what do I need to think about?

This morning I finally got my husband to let me go. We've had years of issues, and he'd trapped me for a while with threats of taking kids off me, etc.

I'm relieved! But I'm scared he does something to screw me over - there's a lot of mind games going on and last week he was threatening to make life hell, and this week he's happy to let me go amicably. I don't know what to believe any more. So I need to cover my back.

Who do I need to speak to for comprehensive advice on the nitty gritty?

CAB? Women's charity? Anyone?!

Help!

TaraMaiden2

First of all, think on this:

You will be emotional, but you know you also need to be rational.

For everything that is laid towards you, think carefully. Observe whether your choice of action is based on you thinking with an emotional head, and wanting your emotions validated or satisfied, or whether it is based on rational logic which will bring the most favourable outcome, legally and practically.

Find a solicitor.

If you have good friends who have been through a divorce, ask them for recommendations, and ask for someone who will do everything they can for your benefit, but will not lie to you or seek to push you into unreasonable situations.

Insofar as your relationship with your H is concerned, read the NC Guide in my signature (link).

This will help you develop the right kind of attitude to save you from going insane.

• Author

Thank you! Your NC article is very good, I'm in the LC category - we have two young children, we live in a tiny community and we both manage a business. It's hard. If only we could cut ties, but we can't.

TaraMaiden2

Then follow the LC recommendation.

Discuss nothing with him other than the topic you need to raise, with regard to the kids/business, or that he raises.

Do not spill into the emotional, and if it begins to go that way, simply say that as you're discussing *whatever business/kid's stuff*, then <emotional stuff> is not up for discussion. If he would like to meet somewhere for coffee (Always choose neutral territory!) then you can have a chat.

But get a solicitor.