If parents divorced, kids will be divorced

How many people with divorced parents and/or grandparents are divorced? Also, how many people whose parents stayed together through thick and then are divorced. Just trying to see if it runs in the family because it seems that everyone I know who is divorced (or just has the opinion that marriage is not necessarily forever) had parents that divorced and everyone I know that never divorced had parents that never divorced. Also, if you never married, state your opinions on marriage being forever or not.

My situation:

Parents not divorced and grandparents not divorced.

I never divorced and have strong feelings against it. (then again I never got married, but I could have been, but I think I'm careful)

My grandparents stayed together. My parents divorced. And I've been married over 20 years to the same man. My sister has been married to her man even longer. One of my brothers is still married to the same woman after 10 years, first marriage. One of my brothers is in a rocky relationship with his THIRD wife.

:)

Both my grandparents were married until they died. My parents have been married 35+ years, won't get divorced. Both my sisters are still married to their high school sweethearts.

I'm divorced.

But then again, both my grandparents cheated on each other (in my Dad's family there's a kid from his Dad's affair and a kid from his Mom's affair). My father SHOULD have divorced my mother, insane, abusive, bipolar harpy that she was. My sister SHOULD divorce her husband, who cheated on her, and treats her like she's his b*tch. But they are all against divorce.

Originally posted by VirginiaBob

My situation:

Parents not divorced and grandparents not divorced.

I never divorced and have strong feelings against it. (then again I never got married, but I could have been, but I think I'm careful)

I was first person in my extended family to get divorced. In the indian culture you just don't get divorced. But my Ex wife was not too great.

If you have never been married then your strong feelings against it don't hold water. You have never been in a marriage so you are unqualified to talk about divorce.

When i got maried i believed the same, marriage was for life, ha ha ha h ah ah ahh ha. I dont' feel that way anymore after that experience!

LucreziaBorgia

My grandparents stayed together. It was a comfortable arrangement for them both, but it was not romantic or loving by the time I came along - my grandmother was in her 40's and her youngest child was 4, and by that time she and her husband were companions who took care of each other. I never saw them say "I love you" or anything like that. My father tells me that his parents were fairly unemotional and not loving - but that was probably says more about their generation than their personal selves.

My family:

My father: divorced twice, now happily married to a wonderful woman whom I wish he had met before he got married to his useless bitch of a second wife

My birth mother: last count, married at least ten times (yes, she is a very sick woman - trust me on this one)

My first stepmother (the useless bitch - physically and emotionally abusive): divorced twice, currently married - status of happiness unknown

My second stepmother: (my father's current wife, whom I care a great deal for): divorced once, happily married to my father

My brother: happily married for life

My stepbrother: in a long term relationship heading toward marriage

Myself: happily married for life

My husband's family:

His father: divorced, left his wife and three kids for a younger associate of his - currently married happily

His stepmother: widowed, and now currently married - she kept her first husband's last name

His mother: divorced - never again dated or had a relationship that we know of in the last 25+ years

His oldest brother: happily married for life

His next oldest brother: happily married for life

Himself: happily married for life

We are children of the 'divorce generation' - we learned from our parents and did not get ourselves into situations that our parents suffered through.

my fathers parents divorced when he was a young boy, 8 or 9.

my dad and mother have just celebrated their 34th anniversary. and they have been through some really really tough times.