Boundaries during Separation - Read

MyNameIsNotSusan

My H is finally leaving the marital home. He has found a place of his own. I notice, he is taking his time packing things, and I have the feeling he plans on leaving some of his things here (he was always very controlling and possessive). I can't help thinking he's going to leave enough here, so that he has access to the house whenever he wants. I've asked him nicely to make sure he gets everything moved over to his new place, but he gets angry and never agrees this is what he will do. He made arrangements to keep everything that's in the garage that belongs to him over at his sister's. She gave him her garage to use. But he hasnt moved a thing and time is running out. This is really bothering me. I won't have access to his place nor do I want it. But I feel this is his way of keeping his foot in the door so to speak. How can I handle this. Legally, can I keep him from coming and going when he pleases? He is such a control freak, I can't even imagine him respecting any kind of rules like that. Please give me some guidance here. Thanks.

Call a lawyer for advice, but I would change the locks. Make sure it is okay for you to do this, I think it usually is when a spouse moves out. No reason he should be able to come and go. If he knows he will not be able to come back whenever he wants, maybe he will take all of his stuff.

If you don't already have one, I think you need a lawyer to understand your rights - and any obligations - in your location. If he is leaving, then I would hope you'd have the right to change the locks and require advance notice if he wants to come over to get something of his. In part, it may depend on who owns the home (how it's titled), and who pays the mortgage. You may have to file for divorce to establish certain rights, especially financial.

Actually, it might just be better to rent a storage unit after he's gone and move everything left behind there. You might be able to get one for $1 for the first month.

Lock it up tight, and have an attorney deliver the gate code and the key and where and how much to send any future payments, because you refuse to make them. Make sure he's got 30 days of storage that won't cost him a nickel.

You will no longer be the bailee for his goods, and he'll have a little time to make his own arrangements for the goods without additional cost.

• Like 1