Ex got engaged and only divorced 7 months

Hope4thefuture

It's been awhile since I posted on here about my story. Very quick summary. 2 years ago my ex told me he was unhappy. I begged him to try to work on our marriage. He relentently agreed. By the summer he moved out. Divorce was final in Sept. of 2014.

Tonight he texted me to tell me he is engaged. All of these emotions are coming back to the surface. I have spent the last 2 years going to therapy and moving on with my life. I am happy again. I feel stronger and more independent. At the beginning of all this I was a puddle on the floor in my bathroom, but now I see my experience as an opportunity to learn and become an even better person from all this. And I was on my way! But tonight just brought everything back. All my insecurities, unhappiness, loneliness, etc. I know I will continue on and this will hopefully just be a bump in my road. However a small, tiny part of me is wondering why do you think it's going to work this time? Why with her and not with me?

Thanks for letting me vent.

• Like 1
I know I will continue on and this will hopefully just be a bump in my road. However a small, tiny part of me is wondering why do you think it's going to work this time? Why with her and not with me?

Thanks for letting me vent.

No matter how recent your divorce or how bitter the circumstances, it's a shock to think about your ex with someone else. Your natural reaction isn't a measure of progress or lack thereof, just one more marker on the trip to somewhere new.

After this, the next box to tick off involves his reaction when you find someone :cool: ...

Mr. Lucky

• Like 1

He will probably regret moving so quickly into another serious relationship...something that is never advised. Maybe he will pause and think it over, maybe he won't. But I think it is normal to,react emotionally when an ex moves on in this way, no matter how long you have been apart.

• Like 1

There's an old Janet Jackson song called I Can't Get Over You Gettin' Over Me. Listen to it. You will feel better.

My Ex boss -- who was a bit of a jerk -- proposed to his now wife in the Courthouse hallway after walking out of the courtroom where his divorce was granted. Some people are on a different time line.

• Like 3
However a small, tiny part of me is wondering why do you think it's going to work this time? Why with her and not with me?

why does any relationship work in comparison to the failed ones?

you focus on your life and let him do what he think is the best for his life.

it's good to vent... so write it all down, scream, cry, be angry & upset... let it all out. then congratulate him, wish him the best and go on with your life.

it's important to mantain good communication because i assume you have kids with this man - your children & you are your only focus. be kind, sweet, open... avoid any kind of fight, argument, tension.

be as civil as you possibly can. trust me, it will get better and there will be a day you won't even remember how it feels being with him in the same room... let alone loving him. one day at a time.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author
Hope4thefuture

So he wants to introduce me to her tomorrow. I said sure. She is going to be a part of my children's lives. I must admit I am nervous. I definitely will be cordial and polite to her, but do I need to be overly friendly? I assume it will just be a brief hi and name exchanges. Not sure what to expect. I don't want to compare myself to her, but I have a feeling I won't be able to help myself. Hopefully I will hold my head up high, say hi, and go about my day like it was any other after that. Not sure that will happen, but I can always hope.

• Like 1