Divorce Petition

So I got the divorce petition about a week ago and haven't signed it yet. Why am I prolonging this? I think a part of me hopes this will change and he will say lets do MC but then a part of me doesn't want to sign it because I don't want him to move on. I know I just need to sign it and get it filed.

GorillaTheater
Don't sign anything without having your own lawyer read & explain it to you.

Agreed, but don't wait too long to file an Answer (assuming that's required in your jurisdiction), because you don't want to run the risk of a possible default judgment.

Bottom line: talk to your lawyer. If you don't have one, get one ASAP.

• Like 2
  • Author

I am the one filing and the petition came from MY lawyer.. this is just to get it filed with the court not the final decree.

• Like 1
  • Author

I know it's over and there is no fixing it so I think I am prolonging it so that he can't move on even though I suspect someone else.

A piece of paper won't stop him from moving on. You may be prolonging this at your own expense.

• Author

Very good point.. I did ask him at one time if separation before the actual divorce would be possible and work on things but he said no because he wants an ending to it all. So I am sure I am not signing in spite which will only hurt me I guess.

This one may be about letting go of something you have no control over.

And when you do that, you'll have control over yourself. Which right now, you do not. He has it. Holding the petition over him will not give you ANY control over him-- but it does give him prolonged control over you. At least, in your mind.

Let go. Let go of that ski lift, it's moving on, and don't cling to it or you'll be left hanging. It's time to ski down the mountain into your own gorgeous village chalet. You can do it.

• Author

Jakrbbt I just love the way you give advice. Thanks.. that was a great analogy. I know it's only hurting me by not signing and filing.. I think you need a daily motivational email everyone can sign up for. Thanks!

• Like 1

If you don't do it then he may beat you to it, and file first. He may make all sorts of hurtful claims in the petition which you will just have to swallow, and he may even claim the costs of the petition back from you. Not to mention your lawyer's fees will have been wasted.

Don't let that happen. Sign it, get the ball rolling!