Was I right to end my first post separation relationship?

Hi guys

Decided to end my first post separation relationship tonight. Strange feeling as I've never had the courage to end a relationship before.

The reason was that I had been seeing her for 5 months and had decided to introduce my little boy to her. He had been introduced to the stbxw's boyfriend one month after she met him and I decided introducing my son that quickly was wrong.

With the girl I met 5 months ago, I decided to take my time so as not to hurt or confuse my little boy.

I needed a commitment that we were now at least boyfriend and girlfriend so that I could set the scene for an introduction, but she was happy for us to be views as dating exclusively. I didn't feel that a strong enough commitment to make it safe for my son to be introduced to her. Also, due to her shift patterns (saw her once every two weeks), plus I saw my son at the weekends so she often couldn't see me, another reason why I was ready to introduce him to her. I just feel that we never gelled as a couple.

Have I done the right thing, I feel I have for my sons sake. Any thoughts?

• Author

The stbxw and I had only been separated 7 months when she introduced the new guy, I'm now 14 months down the line and still couldn't. I'm keen for my son to learn that relationships are not throwaway things.

I hope I will introduce someone to him some day, when the time and person is right, I refuse to repeat the mistake I feel his mother had made.