25 yr marriage, multiple separations - is this 'normal'??

ladybug1984

The brief version: Would it be a red flag to you as a single person to get involved with someone who is separated, supposedly divorcing, who has a long-term history of multiple separations in a 25 year long marriage? The reasons explained have been that they just have fallen out of love and don't understand each other, fight a lot, etc., but they kept getting back together for the sake of the kids. The kids have been grown for a while now, but even five years ago this guy separated from his wife but got back together for the sake of the grown kids............just wondering WHY SO MANY separations and if this is 'normal'???? I have friends who have been married many years and while they may have times when they have had big fights or major disagreements, MAYBE one of them left for a night or maybe even a few days, but these repeated separations ranging from 2 weeks - 6 months just don't seem NORMAL to me. Am I wrong?? I am afraid it's already too late in terms of being vested in the relationship, but yet have to wonder if there ever WILL be a D, or if this could go on until infinity and better to just break myself from it all now?

These two are obviously attached to each other. I'd stay away until the guy was actually divorced...whenever that day comes.

Definitely do not get involved. I'm sure there are men out there with better boundaries and decisiveness. He seems unreliable.

I appreciate the question - it appears to me that you have answered it yourself. It clearly is a "red flag" to you or you would not be asking. I guess I would follow up with a few other questions - do you want to have a relationship with a man who is NOT divorced? Do you want to have a relationship with a man who "separates" when he has "fallen out of love"? What would the foundation of a relationship with this man be - his feelings?

• Author
ladybug1984

Unreliable, too attached to each other, YES to both. I thought maybe multiple splits were not necessarily a red flag, and that it was more common than I thought. Just because I don't see it in my friends and social circles doesn't mean it isn't happening and maybe I am just ignorant of the fact that is a normal part of a relationship...........but it's sounding like maybe that is NOT the case. I'm glad I am putting some thought into this, for sure!

I wouldn't say normal or not normal. That's subjective.

However, personally? Not a guy I'd be willing to take a chance on based on that information.

It's dysfunctional and it is what works for them. That's why they repeat the cycle over and over.

Do not get involved. You will just provide fuel to their love phase when they get back together.

If they divorce, wait a while to see it sticks. Proceed with extreme caution, and above all, don't hang around waiting for the guy because chances are the history will repeat itself.