Divorce questions

My husband filed for divorce but I never received papers. Just an acknowledgment that I've been sued. I kept on asking my husband for the papers but he can't give them to me. I called the clerk of courts and she told me my husband's attorney didn't proceed. What is the hold up? How long does it take for an attorney to proceed? What is the length the court will dismiss this case?

My husband filed for divorce but I never received papers. Just an acknowledgment that I've been sued. I kept on asking my husband for the papers but he can't give them to me. I called the clerk of courts and she told me my husband's attorney didn't proceed. What is the hold up? How long does it take for an attorney to proceed? What is the length the court will dismiss this case?

Not to make light of your situation (I went through this also), but I always found it funny that divorce papers say, "You have been sued." I can't put my finger on it but it sounds a bit off to me.

• Author

I don't understand if he wants a divorce then so be it. Why is he waiting so long? I really love him and don't want this to happen but why put me through this pain.

• Like 2

Are you sure your husband has fully gone through with his decision and isn't bluffing?

That's why I called the clerk of courts. She said his attorney has not proceeded with the divorce so we are still married.

Honestly, any number of things could be going on right now. The attorney could legitimately be slacking and just hasn't gotten around to it. Or your husband could be bluffing. Or your husband could be seeing the attorney but waiting for something (I don't know what) before sealing the deal.

• Like 1
It's been a year on April 20th that my husband filed. Does it really take that long?

What!? Something doesn't add up. There's no way he filed. He's bluffing. What is going on in your marriage? Are you even living together?

• Like 1

Does the "you've been sued" notice that you received have a case number anywhere on it? You should have been served with a summons and complaint.

I suspect that if it's been over a year that the case has been dismissed for failure to prosecute or that it's going to be soon.

Are there children involved? He could be stalling because he doesn't want to get a worse deal with his children than what he has now.

• Author

Yes we have a 9 year old son together. We don't fight over our son. We don't fight at all. We get along fine but lately he has become distant.

Yes we have a 9 year old son together. We don't fight over our son. We don't fight at all. We get along fine but lately he has become distant.

What are the current arrangements with sharing your daughter?

• Author

No current arrangements; as we live about 50 feet apart from each other. My son comes and goes as he pleases. There is no custody, child support or property being sought in my divorce.

No current arrangements; as we live about 50 feet apart from each other. My son comes and goes as he pleases. There is no custody, child support or property being sought in my divorce.

Wait, your divorce? I'm confused. Who is seeking what? Are you thinking HE would get child support?

• Author

my husband filed divorce but he isn't after anything in the divorce according to the complaint. We didn't want to fight over our son as we share all the expenses 50/50. I'm sorry I'm not making any sense.

my husband filed divorce but he isn't after anything in the divorce according to the complaint. We didn't want to fight over our son as we share all the expenses 50/50. I'm sorry I'm not making any sense.

My initial hunch was that he was stalling because he knows a judge would give him less time with your child than he already has--unless of course you agreed to an even split in advance which women rarely do and I commend you for.

• Author

A lot of people are surprised on the way we are handling things and how we get along BUT I just don't understand why he is stalling. I know he said he was never coming back and there is nothing I can say or do to bring him back.

Think of things from his perspective. What reason does he have to finalize the divorce? Honestly. Human behavior is pretty simple. Just find the motivation. If he's not finalizing the divorce, he is obviously fine with the current arrangement.

• Author

Thanks! I just love and miss him so much. It's so hard to want to make things work and he won't even give me the time of day. You've been wonderful help to me.

Thanks! I just love and miss him so much. It's so hard to want to make things work and he won't even give me the time of day. You've been wonderful help to me.

Glad to help. I've been through it so I know how confusing it can be.

Misadventure

If you are not contesting it, then should be an easy divorce. A no contest divorce is fairly quick. Only if there is a contested divorce it can take long, and yes it can take over a yr.

You can make a motion to compel through the clerk of the circuit court. It will start the process again.

Misadventure

Depends on your state.. but no, if there is no contest... should be fairly quick.