Divorce papers

roger136913

Before the W left she signed the papers ( 2 months before) since moving I don't have them anymore.

I told her I would send them in, so should I get the forms again and fill them out and send them or just let her deal with it. If I let her deal with it I know she will be super pissed, but at this stage does it matter?

More detail is needed.

What 'papers'?

Were your signatures notarized, as often such is a requirement of the court?

Why would she be averse to signing again? After all, such would assist in ending the marriage legally, which I presume both of you wish to do.

Stuff happens.

• Author
roger136913

Carhill

The divorce papers.

We signed them but never had them notarized. She signed the papers I never did anything else with them.

No I don't want the Divorce to be honest but I won't drag it out if that's what she wants.

She has not said anything about the papers though..

Well, if notary is a requirement, she'd have to sign in front of a notary public in person and provide photo ID, so the documents gone missing wouldn't really matter.

I can state, in my jurisdiction, my exW and I signed the MSA (settlement agreement) and associated divorce documents in front of a notary together, then took them to the courthouse and filed them. We received our dissolution ('marriage ends on xxx') the very next day.

Essentially, dragging this out is only a benefit if one or the other party gains from remaining married. Neither party can generally legally remarry. Up to you.

One thing I did learn from being married. Get used to a woman being mad at you. :)

• Author
roger136913

Carhill

Ahh did not matter then it would have been voided anyhow since we pre-signed them lol...

I am going to sit back and see if she says anything..

Yea she is mad as hell now, Heartless, and everything else in

between... I am on day 7 of NC.

Wondering if you will let us borrow the car, I gave it to her and she said last week she would take me to Doctors to get the pins out of my hand and cast off. I already plan on walking the 5 miles each way, don't want her help.

Misadventure

Depends who filed..whoever filed... if the other person was served and it is recorded, then there is a certain amount of time allowed to respond in the court system, if not it will go in default.

OP, it's easy to google 'divorce process [your state]' and look at the court web site for process information. Also, generally, a call to your local court's family law division will provide you with all the answers you desire regarding the process (not legal advice!).

If you don't want to get divorced, and she doesn't file/hasn't filed, then life is good. If she does file/has filed and you are served, you are then under the gun to respond or it goes to default, in that, after the response period has run, she can make a motion with the court to summarily rule on the original petition and you have exactly zero input in that summary judgment. The court will enter an order and it will have the force of law. Ignore it at your own peril. Your wife can divorce you without your cooperation or consent and, if you're not careful, she can clean your clock in the process.

I'd strongly suggest checking with your court to make completely sure that your name is nowhere in their system. At our court, once the FL100 was assigned a case summary number and posted into their online system, generally at or around the time I was served, I could pull our case summary up on the court's web site and could follow the case, in general, online.

Good luck!

• Author
roger136913

TY carhill and misadventure

Unless she filed I guess it's not happened yet.

I know she expects me to start the process but I won't. If this is what she wants, I will sign it and not contest it but I won't start the process.

I am hoping in many ways she don't and takes the time to think. I told her if I sign the papers and they are sent in I will never go back to her.

One can only hope :(

• Like 2
TY carhill and misadventure

Unless she filed I guess it's not happened yet.

I know she expects me to start the process but I won't. If this is what she wants, I will sign it and not contest it but I won't start the process.

I am hoping in many ways she don't and takes the time to think. I told her if I sign the papers and they are sent in I will never go back to her.

One can only hope :(

Hi Roger, I'm going through a similar situation like you. My husband filed for divorce last March and I still have not heard anything from the court. I only received an acknowledgment of divorce. I therefore called the clerk of courts and she told me my divorce wasn't proceeded. If he wants to divorce me then let him. Why I ask myself Is he dragging it out? I still feel there is hope left. Don't give up!