Ex wife asked me to dinner Friday night

hurts_so_bad

Well guys you know my story, Atleast most who have posted on my other threads..So Im not going to get into the details about the past...A few weeks ago my ex and I got together to talk over some stuff both finacially and about the kids...

During that convo she told me her heart wasnt doing to good...Needless to say, I broke down and told her I always loved her and still love her..She told me love was never a problem and went on to say why she left..At the end I told her well maybe one day we will work things out..

She said yeah and went on to say maybe we will go out on a date one of these days and I said sure..Well Monday I got a text from her that went like this...

Her...I just wanted to let you know that the tests I went for came back good and the Dr. Is changing my meds.

Me.. Thats great! I was actually thinking about it and was going to call you...If you need anything let me know

Her...Thanks! I was actually thinking about what we talked about to...What are you doing Friday night?

Me...No real plans why? What do you have in mind?

Her...Dinner? nothing fancy just dinner and talk

Me...Sounds like fun...Give me a text or a ring later this week so we can make plans.. I will ttyl..Im watching GI Joe with the girls

Her..Ok have fun with the girls...goodnight..

So as it stands I have tentative plans for dinner with her Friday night..Im so damn nervous she is going to cancel on me! I cant help but get extremely nervous and think the worst..

I suffer from anxiety and really need to calm myself down..I still feel the emptiness in my chest at times from the break up! Any good advice on staying calm cool and collected?

Edited by hurts_so_bad
  • Like 3

This was heartwarming to read. Go to dinner and dress nice...let her do most of the talking. Be calm and strong. Report back afterwards.

If she asks to reconcile, make sure to lay down some ground rules and establish boundaries of what you will and will not tolerate. Ask her what she has done to improve herself since the marriage ended. The same goes for you - you need to be a better, improved version of the guy she married.

If neither has repaired, resolved, or rebuilt themselves, then history will repeat itself.

• Like 4
dreamingoftigers

Puhleeze do not go to boundary-land on the first date.

Just the same as you wouldn't go to boundary land on a first date with any other woman.

Breathe. Breathe breathe.

Just be a charming, responsible guy. Be THAT guy. The guy you've been working on becoming.

And let the resent take a backseat for awhile. Gather that discipline together.

And go SLOW. You've waited awhile to see if it could work out again. Brave yourself against negative feelings and give it a chance.

HSB. I know it's highly premature, but I'm happy for you.

• Like 9
2.50 a gallon

What dot said!

Don't push, beg or ask her back.

Don't tell her about the new you, let her see it.

Let her talk and ask questions about your new life. Be positive

• Like 2

Do not go over board with "I love you, I have missed you sooooo much" Keep that to yourself. Don't act overy excited... Just approach this as a friendly date with an old friend. No pressure, no assumptions, no expectations.

• Like 3
  • Author
hurts_so_bad

Hey guys I really need your advice here...I know many of you have gone to conselling like I have for the nearly a year now...I am not sure if she is the right one for me as I do not feel I have made much progress with her yet...So I just want to get you guys insight on the way I am feeling in hopes maybe you can help me clear this battle I am having in my head with maybe something your counsellor taught you in the past!

Since my break up I have had this battle of WHO AM I!....And who do I WANT TO BE! I always think that if I had a clear picture of who I am and the person I want to be it would give me the answers I need in life..You know like some people have their ideals and things they believe in? That sort of stuff

My mind has been filled with chatter that I recently calmed down threw meditation and trying my best to be grateful and acceptance.. I also came up with a new motto for myself to treat people the way I want to be treated but to also treat them the way they treat me...Its worked up until the other night when she asked me on the date for Friday!

The thing that is plaquing me now is this!

Since the day she asked me I have in my head what if she flakes or she doesnt show much interest in the date? Everyone says to not let your emotions effect your judgement, be calm and cool..But I am a man full of raw emotion, I have a huge ego, and I do not like being played a fool..If one of two of these things happens, my first instinct is going to be to tell her Stop playing games with me and let me move on!

Now I know that is going to show that I am angry about it but isnt that truely me and what I feel? Wouldnt a women rather have a man that has a little umf to him instead of just laying back and take it with a grain of salt who tells her dont worry about it if she flakes or just act content if she acts uninterested in the date..Wouldnt that make me look like a fool doesnt that make me like a doormat?

I guess they both have there up points and down points....If i show my raw emotions it shows her I still really care and that may not be good..On the other hand if i take it with a grain of salt it may make her wonder why....I get it all but the thing is, If I have to play an act to get her to wonder and care without showing my true self, IS SHE WORTH IT? Shouldnt someone care for you if you are your true self instead of having to put on an act?

The thing I am trying to figure out is which one is best? I know Im the guy who would tell her (no matter how much it hurts me) to just leave me be if she flakes! But I always question myself on that? In other words I dont know who to be!

In my failed marriage and failed dating life I have found myself questioning everything and that in itself hurts a ton! Probably more then my failed marriage cause Im full of confusion!

Any kind words or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

• Like 1

As Ray Charles said.....Let it do what it do,Baby!

You just have to be yourself,the self that you really are.You know who you are!

Don't be the guy walking around "looking for himself",be the man! That doesn't mean to club her over the head with a giant turkey leg at dinner in a cave either.You should not plan the outcome of the date,just the date itself.After that,it's all up to her anyway.I see you slobbering now.....:)

She may turn you off when you actually speak with her.You may have grown to much to fit into her world now.If so,that's ok too.

You may not ring her bell either.That's ok too.

I'm saying- "there's more fish in the sea....nobody likes getting thrown back though".

It's fear of the unknown for you now.Rise up and be the man who slays the dragon of fear and just go have a great date,no matter how it turns out.She can't eat you....well maybe not anyway.

Good for you.I hope it is wonderful.

REVITUP

• Like 1
  • Author
hurts_so_bad
As Ray Charles said.....Let it do what it do,Baby!

You just have to be yourself,the self that you really are.You know who you are!

Don't be the guy walking around "looking for himself",be the man! That doesn't mean to club her over the head with a giant turkey leg at dinner in a cave either.You should not plan the outcome of the date,just the date itself.After that,it's all up to her anyway.I see you slobbering now.....:)

She may turn you off when you actually speak with her.You may have grown to much to fit into her world now.If so,that's ok too.

You may not ring her bell either.That's ok too.

I'm saying- "there's more fish in the sea....nobody likes getting thrown back though".

It's fear of the unknown for you now.Rise up and be the man who slays the dragon of fear and just go have a great date,no matter how it turns out.She can't eat you....well maybe not anyway.

Good for you.I hope it is wonderful.

REVITUP

So basically what your telling me is to be who I am...If I feel I need to say something to her say something..No I am not going to hit her in the head with a club! lol...Im a anxious nervous wreck right now cause of fear of the unknown..I just asked my friends advice and he told me if she flakes just tell her fine!

I dont think I would be able to do that...First off its always easier to say things and give advice on things when its not your heart in your throat! His actions may be totally different then what he told me to do if he was in the situation..

I remember back in the day when we first started dating she was with a guy before me for like 6 years and they broke up..We started dating for a few weeks and she said to me one night I am not sure of us...I am not sure how I still feel about him and think it might be a good idea to try again with him...

I didnt get angry but I said to her, Im not happy about it but I cant stop you..Needless to say I was wrecked but did not show her! A few days later she was at my house when I got home from work..We just chatted and she went home..This happened a few more time afterwards till I finally told her, Look..I still care for you but if we arent going to be together then I dont want to see you anymore..

A few days later she came walking up my block telling me how much she cared for me and wanted to be with me..We were together since then...3 kids and 20 years later we are where we are today.. Sometimes I feel its not always a bad thing to tell a person how you feel as long as you dont beg and plead...You feel that way whether you tell them or not so what is really the difference?

Its such a hard game to play and Im looking for answers but I guess there is no definite answer..So I will just do what i feel I need to do of something sour comes out of it like her flaking or not being into the date..I will do what I feel I need to do in my heart, whether its saying nothing or telling her she needs to let me move on from her...

• Like 2

Yup....let it show that you are happy to be there.

And....let it show you can be happy elsewhere,if she flies off like a cheap hubcap.

Think like this...You have NOTHING to lose at this point.All you can do is break even.:cool:

REVITUP

• Like 4
dreamingoftigers

HSB:

Buddy!

I am going to say a couple of things that may come off as shaming because I can't think of another way to articulate them right now.

Plus, I am warning you because even thingy they aren't intended to shame, your first post on here got me realizing that you must feel pretty attacked a lot. So don't take it personally but please think about the points. Not the language used to deliver.

1. Why in the world are you predicting and giving yourself anxiety about the "almost worst-case scenarios?"

You are getting SO FAR ahead of yourself here and it isn't a strategic video game. It's DINNER. DINNER. For the love of God, I've been known to eat two dinners a day (weight problem explained) without freaking out as bad.

And what if she does flake or fall asleep? What have you lost? Nothing. You are right where you were before she asked you to dinner.

Dude, all that you are doing is killing your own hope, shooting yourself in the foot early so that you don't "fail" or "feel like a fool."

Guess what, you aren't perfect and you were a tough spouse to deal with. You were. Love ya (in the internets sense) but you are just as flawed as everyone else on the planet and until you set aside this "is she worth it/am I worth it/what if I fall flat on my face/what if she's a total bitch?" Mantra sll you do is go in circles with your anxiety.

I'll tell you what. She is worth it. You've got kids together and she had your back for a lot longer than you deserved. Not because you're a "piece of poo" or whatever but because you chose poorly. Choose better. Keèp choosing better.

Whether or not you get to go home choose better. That should be your #1 concern. Not whether sparks fly out your ass if you get to kiss.

Giving something a chance is just that.....a chance. Not a full reconciliation where you show up with a uhaul tomorrow and go over your list of new boundaries.

Do something a little more normal tomorrow. Have some fun at dinner and try to refrain from making fart jokes. Okay? I know that the two may seems mutually exclusive at first but they aren't. Get to know each other. It isn't about one being "worthy." It's about seeing if you can have fun together. If You can enjoy each other. THEN you can see if your choices fit together.

Gawd HSB. You've been so crushed by her leaving for so long and you want to machete potential happiness before you even see if you can split a damn salad and manicotti together?

Give your head a shake.

And give yourself a hug.

Hey guys I really need your advice here...I know many of you have gone to conselling like I have for the nearly a year now...I am not sure if she is the right one for me as I do not feel I have made much progress with her yet...So I just want to get you guys insight on the way I am feeling in hopes maybe you can help me clear this battle I am having in my head with maybe something your counsellor taught you in the past!

Since my break up I have had this battle of WHO AM I!....And who do I WANT TO BE! I always think that if I had a clear picture of who I am and the person I want to be it would give me the answers I need in life..You know like some people have their ideals and things they believe in? That sort of stuff

My mind has been filled with chatter that I recently calmed down threw meditation and trying my best to be grateful and acceptance.. I also came up with a new motto for myself to treat people the way I want to be treated but to also treat them the way they treat me...Its worked up until the other night when she asked me on the date for Friday!

The thing that is plaquing me now is this!

Since the day she asked me I have in my head what if she flakes or she doesnt show much interest in the date? Everyone says to not let your emotions effect your judgement, be calm and cool..But I am a man full of raw emotion, I have a huge ego, and I do not like being played a fool..If one of two of these things happens, my first instinct is going to be to tell her Stop playing games with me and let me move on!

Now I know that is going to show that I am angry about it but isnt that truely me and what I feel? Wouldnt a women rather have a man that has a little umf to him instead of just laying back and take it with a grain of salt who tells her dont worry about it if she flakes or just act content if she acts uninterested in the date..Wouldnt that make me look like a fool doesnt that make me like a doormat?

I guess they both have there up points and down points....If i show my raw emotions it shows her I still really care and that may not be good..On the other hand if i take it with a grain of salt it may make her wonder why....I get it all but the thing is, If I have to play an act to get her to wonder and care without showing my true self, IS SHE WORTH IT? Shouldnt someone care for you if you are your true self instead of having to put on an act?

The thing I am trying to figure out is which one is best? I know Im the guy who would tell her (no matter how much it hurts me) to just leave me be if she flakes! But I always question myself on that? In other words I dont know who to be!

In my failed marriage and failed dating life I have found myself questioning everything and that in itself hurts a ton! Probably more then my failed marriage cause Im full of confusion!

Any kind words or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

• Like 6

Am i the only person who thinks "going out to dinner" is the worst place to have a conversation? There always seems to be uncomfortable downtime/uncomfortable silences...I dont know, I think if you want to talk, you should do something else.

Maybe its just me.

• Like 1
Am i the only person who thinks "going out to dinner" is the worst place to have a conversation? There always seems to be uncomfortable downtime/uncomfortable silences...I dont know, I think if you want to talk, you should do something else.

Maybe its just me.

They're going to HOOTERS so it should all be good.Just kiddin'

;)

REVITUP

• Like 1
I also came up with a new motto for myself to treat people the way I want to be treated but to also treat them the way they treat me...

This is a really crappy motto.

ALWAYS treat people kindly. Always keep your own integrity and do the right thing.

If someone treats you poorly, you may have to distance yourself from them emotionally, physically, or both. But never stoop to their level - when you do, you are only selling yourself out.

As far as your worries, you need to stay focused on the things that are within your control.

Here's what you can control:

- Yes, you will show up for dinner with your ex.

- You can show up looking nice, and go in with an open heart and a willingness to see what happens next.

That's it. You can't control whether she shows up, what she does, what she says, what her intentions are, why she wants to have dinner, and whether she'll want to reconcile.

Live in this moment, and rather than get carried away with what-ifs. You simply do not know what is going to happen.

If she does play you for a fool, you can feel good knowing you went in with great intentions.

• Like 4

Dont fall apart/get mad/run out the door if she says something derrogatory. If she says something that cuts you like a knife, are you prepared to handle it, and steer the conversation back to normalcy?

• Author
hurts_so_bad

The truth is I am so anxitious and nerved out because I am so fkin obssessed with this women I guess for two reasons..1... I do still care for her very much and I hae not moved on yet..I tried the dating scene to get her out of my head and in hopes to maybe find someone else incase she is definitely gone..

Truth is I havent found anyone at all that I am interested in a damn year and a half! So I have focused so much of my energy on her which I know is a bad thing but I guess I havent and still have nothing else to disract myself from her..

I know I have to be strong and stop giving a **** so much! I really do! I have to accept and appreciate what I have in life..My three kids, house, friends, etc and stop focusing on that she is the only thing in this world that will make me happy!

In other words I have to be happy with me and what I have and stop giving a **** so much..If the date goes great! Great! If not, It didnt work out! I was just watching a few youtube videos of this date coaching dude named coach corey wayne and he has some real interesting things to say..

I heard you DOT when you said stop worrying about something that hasnt happened in not so many words..But its already stuck in my head and cant get the whats ifs out at this point..So my question again is..Do I be myself if she flakes and say to her, You need to let me move on cause obviously your not that interested! or do I take the other aproach and just say fine which I my eyes makes me look like a dope! I dont know Im fkin confused! lol

You say......she is the only thing in this world that will make me happy!

She can't make you happy.Only you, can make you, happy!

This is a flawed belief on your "belief window" brother.It will cause all of your behaviors to be flawed.You will scare her away if she knows you think this way.By no means do I mean for you to hide this from her,just change that belief on your belief window.

I haven't read all of your thread,just a little bit in this one.It may be that you are just excited and it may be you are a stalker, I don't know which but she will.

You may not find "the one" in a year or two but finding the one, is worth the wait.

I wish you well,I am just going to watch this play out.

Good luck

REVITUP

• Like 1
  • Author
hurts_so_bad
You say......she is the only thing in this world that will make me happy!

She can't make you happy.Only you, can make you, happy!

This is a flawed belief on your "belief window" brother.It will cause all of your behaviors to be flawed.You will scare her away if she knows you think this way.By no means do I mean for you to hide this from her,just change that belief on your belief window.

I haven't read all of your thread,just a little bit in this one.It may be that you are just excited and it may be you are a stalker, I don't know which but she will.

You may not find "the one" in a year or two but finding the one, is worth the wait.

I wish you well,I am just going to watch this play out.

Good luck

REVITUP

Hey Revitup

I didnt mean it like it sounded..I actually meant to say (I have to accept and appreciate what I have in life..My three kids, house, friends, etc and stop focusing on HER AS IF she is the only thing in this world that will make me happy...

I know there are other things that do as well and other women that will as well..I guess because of the fact that I havent met anyone else that I really liked my focus always goes back to her..

Stalker? NO! By no means am I..Just a guy who was and still is hopeful that things may one day work out or atleast hopeful to where i am happy again and find someone new to start something great with! Ive never stalked her but had that hope at some points made me a little bit of a beta male when she called or text always in hopes it would be good news!

Ive been on this site for a while now and many people heard my story and if you read my recently seperated thread from back about a year and 3 months ago you will see what happened in my life with her..

• Like 1

PRESSED

That's what we used to call this type of thinking...pressed.It's that "I gotta have her" that makes a man pressed.I was pressed after 18 yrs.I will never get that way again though.

The reason I say that to you,is simple.....women/men, can literally SMELL that PRESSED thing,it will run her off.

I just wanted to let you in on what an outsider sees and thinks about your actions and thoughts.Sometimes we miss it when we are the one who is living it,it's then that we need some questions from the outside.

I'm sure you will do just fine.....she is most likely just as nervous.

I'm glad you aren't a stalker.:)

REVITUP

• Like 1
2.50 a gallon

h-s-b

Don't over do it and raise your expectations. You are not going to reconcile on Friday night. Don't even think it.

Work on the little things, such as making her feel comfortable with the two of you meeting for dinner, so you can set the stage for possible more similar meetings. Let her do the talking, only talk about yourself if she does the asking. If the conversation dies, be prepared with topics that the two of you can talk about. If her parents are still living ask about their health, her family, her sister, or her Crazy Aunt Julie and her crazy cat, and listen and act like you care. And if you don't care, start learning how to care about the people in her life.

I know you had a drinking problem, and there is probably a good chance that you might dislike some of them, as they might have supported her breaking up with you. Let by-gones be by-gones, as they are important to her as they are part of her support system

I know deep in your heart you are hoping you can talk about your relationship. Forget it. No relationship talk, now is not the time.

Your first goal should be setting the table so that you can have more similar meetings

• Like 4

Good luck with the dinner; stay calm and carry on. If you feel uncomfortable, reschedule, leave early or go to the bathroom and relax a bit. What's the worst that could happen, you lose her? Been there, still living it. This isn't reason to go all YOLO on her with your feelings though. Think 1st date. Think: I will do nothing to screw this up and everything to get another date.

It's only your expectations that would make you "feel" disappointed.

Review your expectations so you don't get bummed out if it doesn't go the way you want it to.

Or expect nothing...that way there's no way to be bummed out.

Figure it may be just dinner with an old friend.

Keep it light, talk of your interests and what's new with you. Ask her about herself, her interests etc.

Have you been doing charity work? Thinking and doing for others? She may be checking to see if you've FULLY embraced your sobriety and recovery...especially if she's attended al anon.

On your other thread - you've been encouraged multiple times to do your steps, to sponsor others - yet you haven't been willing. You won't even take the suggestion to "help others" on these boards by posting to help new people. You haven't earned your W trust back yet.

It's still "all about you" hurts - and THAT would more likely be the reason she's not warm and consistent with you. You still haven't gotten out of yourself and you still think of you. SHE isn't required to make you happy - it comes from within - but you won't do the work to address that issue.

Your mind is focused on getting what YOU want - your license back and your wife back. Those things are earned...

If/since you're not happy - what is the reason she should be accepting of your unhappy self?

Think of what you offer - is that enough for any gal? Why should she choose yourself in this unhappy state of mind?

You've had SO much help on your other thread - lots of input - but you just won't change and grow. Your pity party is your comfort zone - and when nothing changes = nothing changes!

I think your wife wants to know IF anything has changed - deep within your soul.

Start helping others. It should give you perspective beyond your pity party.

Edited by 2sunny
  • Author
hurts_so_bad

Well guys what I feared the most came true last night..It was about 10pm when I hurd a text come threw on my cell sitting next to me on my nightstand..I just knew without picking it up that it was her..

Sure enough it was explaining how she had to reschedule for another time that she totally forgot she promised her GF that she would help her cook for her daughters Graduation on Friday night for Saturadys party..

She said she totally forgot yadda yadda...I kept it light and said dont worry about it maybe next time..she said sounds good and went on to text me other crap.. I told her call me and we spoke for about an hour..

I am deeply pissed at this because how long does cooking really take and if you really want to see me you would make and effort... Then again she is going to Myrtle beach with my kids Driving there from NY saturday after the Graduation party, So maybe she figures after the cooking she needs time to pack and then the road trip which she needs energy for so maybe its true that she just cant do it..

My whole thing is that..Some people say to stop giving a **** so much and consider yourself a catch and you wont care as much..I want to believe this but after 20 years of being together is this really possible..They say if you dont care so much it wont hurt as bad to the point where you say Hey dont worry, Next time...But at what point to you say something? Ive been flaked on so many times in the past couple months! not by my ex but by other chicks! Its geting ridiculous! I cant just keep saying hey dont worry about it! At one point Im just gonna look like a sap so desperate that i am just taking **** every time a girl calls and breaks plans without saying my feeling about it and standing up to say WTF is your problem!

Sorry if this post is a little all over but I have no time to edit things as I have to catch my bus to work very soon...

Oberfeldwebel

HSB, I don't mean to rain on your parade, but she will never take you seriously, because she doesn't respect you. You are merely a reserve player. When she sent the text, you should not have even answered her until the next morning. You asking her to talk says: "I am fine with whatever time you can spare me". You are afraid of loosing her again, but the fact is you don't have her, she is playing you.

Women love confidence in a man and I am not seeing that in the way you are interacting with her. Additionally, I don't think that another woman has a chance with you as you seem to have an obsession with her. I don't know if it is the lure of the unobtainable, but you need to see this woman for who she really is and take her off the pedestal.

Don't play a game, say what you mean and mean what you say, that is something she can respect. Don't wait for her to let you go, if she is treating you poorly, disengage and not be available. When she says things like I forgot I promised my girlfriend (obvious BS), call her out. Tell her "hey if you changed your mind, fine but don't give me some lame excuse, that is just insulting". If she continues with the lie, then just end the conversation as she is not serious about a relationship and you.

• Like 4

Oh boy,

First- You just got bullcrabbed!

Second-You shouldn't have asked her for a "phone call" about it!

Third-I would NEVER have replied AT ALL to that text cancelling a date,send me that text, I will ignore your rear end and go have fun elsewhere.

Brother you are pressed and she knows just how to get you back in line.She didn't for get about a cooking session followed by a graduation then a trip to Myrtle Beach..... in just a few days and then suddenly remember to look at her Franklin Planner! You were set up and you bit!

The beach.....she wants to take one more shot at getting some action in this summer,maybe a few compliments on her nice tan or new bikini.You need to know you will never find the Beauty of the Ocean if you stay tied up at the Dock!

I would not answer anything from her for six months and then reevaluate.

REVITUP

Edited by revitup
spelling
  • Like 2

Just read this thread through with interest and Oberfeldwebel is absolutely right. In fact, nearly everybody else is saying the same thing.

All I got from your comments is that you're a lonely, desperate, heart-broken man. A complete doormat to his woman and guess what? She knows it!

This seriously isn't good for you and isn't going to work. You MUST focus on yourself, not her! It's time to kick this pathetic whimpering individual into touch. It's time to discard the demons, to have some self-pride, to act with conviction and purpose, to be your own person with a positive personality whilst oozing confidence.

If you work on that, then you won't just have the ex at your feet, you'll have hundreds of other girls wanting a piece of the pie too! And guess what? By that time, you probably won't even want your ex because you'll have moved on to a better place in your life.

Stop checking your phone. Go 180. If she calls and gives it mumbo jumbo, act barely interested. Women are attracted by independence, masculinity and leadership. You need to find those things - again, work on yourself, not her!

Til the day you die, there's only one person that will be with you all the way, and he's in the mirror. It's time to look after him!

• Like 3