She wants divorce, he doesn't ....won't cooperate...what now??? Can it still happen??

:(

Hello everyone...I have a question about divorce. This is a question concerning New York, just in case this will have any significance. Now here goes....

Someone wants a divorce, but husband says: "No, I won't give you a divorce." He won't sign the divorce papers, won't cooperate at all. Can divorce still go on? And under what circumstances?

Just want to know if anyone had gone to a process like this and how to fight it.

Thanks for all the replies.

• Author

I want to add one more thing...he's been living seperately for a month now and only goes to their store (the address where he lived before the seperation, upstairs was their apartment and downstairs was their store) to work during the day. He bought a house (which I thought was really stupid), since he didn't get a divorce yet. Anyway, before he bought his new house, he was living seperately too...in the basement for like 4 months.

this sounds like a question better put to a divorce lawyer than to a relationship forum.

Bear in mind that any advice you might receive from people who have been in similar situations may not transfer directly to yours, since divorce laws vary from state to state.

I know that in Illinois you have to be separated for 6 months before a divorce can be finalized if both agree and sign but if only one signs you must be sparated for 2 years. Do a search for divorce laws per state. They are all over the net.