LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Breaking Up, Reconciliation & Coping > Separation and Divorce

filing before financial agreement?

Separation and Divorce Considering ending your marriage? Going through a divorce? Let us know!

Old 21st December 2009, 3:39 PM   #1
Established Member

Question filing before financial agreement?

Does a financial agreement have to be in place before one of the parties goes to the courthouse to file? I'm asking if the agreement of split debts and assets has to come first or can that come after a spouse serves papers to the other one? Maybe I have this wrong but I thought papers served then agreements of finances and custody are worked out in time between the filing and before it's final. Or do you work out finances and custody before then file?
Based on both people agree on split. No nastiness or dirty tricks or millions of dollars.
1Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 9:38 PM   #2
Established Member

nope, that happens after you get lawyers or papers involved. you can work it out beforehand, but before everything is signed, they (or you) can go back on any oral agreement. So essentially who files first gets to make the demands, and then its point/counterpoint until it's final. If you both agree, usually you can go the route without a lawyer. Your best bet would be to contact a divorce lawyer, usually they have a free or cheap consult.
Good luck
mikeymad is offline   Reply With Quote