CA - Alimony requirements for spouse who never contributed

Hello to the experts and the experienced. (California)

I'd like some advice about whether it would be required by law that I pay alimony for a spouse who spent much of my money on drugs and junk behind my back. Then finished it off with adultery at the worst possible time in my life.

-We have been married almost 6 years.

-We have no children. (Thank God for that!)

-I have been the ONLY one bringing in money into the marriage.

She has the same college degree as I. But she's refused to get a job since we married. She rarely cooked, cleaned or took care of the house. She'd do it every now and then, with my help. I encouraged her to work many, many times. Even helped her with her futile attempt at another career path. But she failed to get it together and spent much of my money in the process. She has many skills to find work. But she just won't do it. She spent the years riding my patience.

She has no physical impediment at all.

She has no mental impediment to work either. Yes, she's a recovering addict . But I've never heard of that being an impediment to work and earn a living.

She run up debt which I have paid. And I'm now willing to let her have our new car (which I'm still making payments on). All the furniture. I'm even willing to help her move and pay for her rent for some time. Even pay for classes to freshen up her degree skills. I just want her gone from my life forever, without having to have a legal fight.

-------------------------------------------------------------

My question to you simply is:

-Does she have a case to get any alimony money from me at all in the state of California, if our divorce went to trial?.

And if the answer is yes: If you know of cases like this. How much or for how long does this unfair judgement last for. How long do I have to support this bum.

Please. Serious and well informed answers please

Thank you.

It is my understanding that you will pay alimony. Pretty much if she never worked, you will be paying it, and for a very long time.

She will most likely end up with half of your 401k/IRA's, the real estate and other joint assets, and some alimony.

For how long will be determined in court, but I do know that if she never worked, you will pay more, and for a longer period of time.

I have one friend who gets alimony until she gets remarried.

You REALLY need to get a lawyer. LS is great, but this is a site for garden-variety relationship issues - not determining your financial future or legal advice.

Wishing you well...

usually it depends on how long you were married. For 6 year marriage it should be half so it would be 3 years of alimony. But that depends on the state and the judge. He will factor her not chosing to work especially since there are no children you may not have to pay alimony. If she didn't work to care for underage children then you would.