Blast from the past - ex SO contacts me out of the blue

2 weeks ago I was contacted by an ex from a previous LTR. He has called a total of 4 times and has sent 3 emails in the 2 week period. I had changed my numbers after no longer seeing him so he has done a lot of digging to find my contact info. I've responded to only 1 email saying I might call him back.

Everything had been going great between us and after he had taken me on a nice trip, I had cut all contact with him with no explanation. For a long time I wanted more from the relationship, and when he was finally willing to give it I think I was scared of the direction things were going in and split. That combined with the fact that I had been growing resentment towards him for waiting so long to finally put in more into the relationship so when he did, I was thinking too late, he doesn't deserve me any more.

His calls have been of a friendly nature saying a lot of things have changed in his life. I have a feeling he is in another relationship. I don't know if it will make sense to suddenly see each other again or if I would feel comfortable to find out the details of his current situation. I have made peace of no longer having him in my life even though he at one time was my whole life.

Should I continue ignoring him? I'm scared if I call or answer his calls he will talk me into seeing him. You'd think he'd be mad at me for my disappearing act, but he sent a poetic email and has been sounding extremely nice in his calls so I don't know what to make of it or how to handle the situation. He even left a vm last Friday saying that he would cancel going to a party if I were to come up to see him. Why is he suddenly so wanting to see me?

Has anyone reconnected with a past SO? Is it a good idea to remain as just friends considering a long period has passed, possibly making it easier to?

Pink Amulet

The fact that you are even posting this on here tells me it is still to fresh for you to try and start a platonic relationship with him.

I am going to vote no. I personally would never want to hear the details of the life my ex is having now that I am not in it. A friendly word occassionaly is fine. But it sounds like he is pushing all the right buttons to your heart. I am afraid for you. I am afraid it might take you back to day one, or even day 40! I just think it is a place you shouldn't be if you are sure you don't want any more from him- if you might want him back- he might too. It is a risk I am not sure you should take either way.

Fun2bme... follow your heart.

• Author
The fact that you are even posting this on here tells me it is still to fresh for you to try and start a platonic relationship with him.

I am going to vote no. I personally would never want to hear the details of the life my ex is having now that I am not in it. A friendly word occassionaly is fine. But it sounds like he is pushing all the right buttons to your heart. I am afraid for you. I am afraid it might take you back to day one, or even day 40! I just think it is a place you shouldn't be if you are sure you don't want any more from him- if you might want him back- he might too. It is a risk I am not sure you should take either way.

Fun2bme... follow your heart.

Thanks I needed to hear that PA. He is pushing all the right buttons as you say and I am beginning to feel manipulated. I was tempted to share with him all of my accomplishments since we were last together but he'll do the same and if it includes his love life I really don't want to know about it. So time to continue moving on.

So, everything had been going great, he took you on a long trip. He eventually started to put more into the relationship, as you wanted.

In response, you get scared and bail on him and state you resented him for waiting "too long" ?

My advice would be to stay away, but the advice would be to him....

• Author

I will take the advice for myself. I consider myself a good catch so I blame myself for sticking with him for so long while he was so full of himself and not giving as much into the relationship. When he finally did I realized I should be with someone who is more devoted to me from the beginning.

For years he sucked the life out of me. I was always there to support him with his work, kind of like a muse which he referred to me as on more than one occassion, inspiring him to do his best and all that when I needed his support too.

I needed to hear the advice PA gave to move on and that's what I'm doing. What's that saying, 'too little, too late' comes to mind. I'm just wondering why all of a sudden he started contacting me so much. Took him long enough.

• Author

The last time I saw him was when he took me on the trip 4th of July weekend 2 years ago. After that he called many times, we spoke briefly a couple of times. I was always hanging up and he didn't understand why or maybe deep down he knew is what I think. He knew I was turning cold which is why he tooke me on the trip but by then I was already too upset and the trip didn't do the trick to get my affections back.

I then didn't hear from him until he sent me a hand written letter in a christmas card at christmas time December of that year, as I had changed my phone numbers on him. I didn't respond. That was 1 1/2 years ago and now as of 2 weeks he has been calling and emailing.

• Author

He called again today so I finally called him back. I am to go visit him tomorrow. I'm so nervous about the whole thing.:confused:

Everything had been going great between us and after he had taken me on a nice trip, I had cut all contact with him with no explanation.

Sorry, but I think you are on the wrong forum. People are here for advice how to get back with their ex`s, and get a second chance at making their relationships work.

You are the one that dumped him! They person that should be on this forum like Brisman said - is not YOU but HIM!

Should I continue ignoring him?

Er, I think you`re not on the same wave length here. No one is here to ignore people. We should talk like adults should. People are here too do NC (no contact) to establish where they are after being dumped. Some consider this as time to `heal` , after being dumped. You are the one that dumped him, so he should be doing NC to you, and not the other way round. You dumped him, and now you want to ignore him. thats just ignorance.

Has anyone reconnected with a past SO? Is it a good idea to remain as just friends considering a long period has passed, possibly making it easier to?

It is possible to reconnect with the past, but you have to define clear lines between friendship or relationship. It sounds to me that your ex is still in love with you. It took me almost 3 years before I could talk to one of my so called girlfriends to become a friend again, but this was only when we both undertood that we would only be nothing but friends. I think you are very confused, and you are looking for advice what to do. Unfortunately your story is far too limited in information to comment upon, but I think you should start off with another forum as this is for people who want to get back with a ex for a second chance.

Now the question to you is, do you want another chance? Only you can make that decison. After all you decided to split before your relationship could develop. Its people like you who dump their partners that create this forum. Its a bit of an irony for dumper to be on here.

That combined with the fact that I had been growing resentment towards him for waiting so long to finally put in more into the relationship so when he did, I was thinking too late, he doesn't deserve me any more.

and

I will take the advice for myself. I consider myself a good catch so I blame myself for sticking with him for so long while he was so full of himself and not giving as much into the relationship. When he finally did I realized I should be with someone who is more devoted to me from the beginning.

Is your head in the clouds? Its all about you you and you. Can you at least give some examples why this man was so full of himself?

I was thinking too late, he doesn't deserve me any more.

I m sorry, but that is very selfish statement saying something like that. Relationships are never easy. They are full of ups and downs. You jumped ship after a long trip, and things were going well.

Some people may never be compatible, but your story tells me nothing why you dumped him. Theres only one thing you have to remember. Its possible you suffer from low self esteem. A fear of commitment, or unable to communicate what you want in a relationship.

The last piece of advise I need to give to you is the grass is not always greener on the other side. Do you really want this man after dumping him in the first place? What was the deciding factor? Maybe its the fact this man is showing you attention, and thats what you need. Whatever you do, do not get this man all wound up, get all his hopes up, and then dump him all over again. Its going to hurt him a hell of a lot more a SECOND time!!!:(

• Author
Sorry, but I think you are on the wrong forum. People are here for advice how to get back with their ex`s, and get a second chance at making their relationships work.

You are the one that dumped him! They person that should be on this forum like Brisman said - is not YOU but HIM!

First let me thank you for reading my thread and putting in the time to respond with your thoughts.

I think 'dumped' is too harsh of a word to describe what happened. I had to leave him and I need advice too so I don't think it's fair to say I don't belong here.

Er, I think you`re not on the same wave length here. No one is here to ignore people. We should talk like adults should. People are here too do NC (no contact) to establish where they are after being dumped. Some consider this as time to `heal` , after being dumped. You are the one that dumped him, so he should be doing NC to you, and not the other way round. You dumped him, and now you want to ignore him. thats just ignorance.

You think you have it all figured out, why people are here, what they need to do and so on. I'm not an expert like you so I need help on what to do because unlike everyone else who seems to know what to do as you describe, I happen to not know.

It is possible to reconnect with the past, but you have to define clear lines between friendship or relationship. It sounds to me that your ex is still in love with you. It took me almost 3 years before I could talk to one of my so called girlfriends to become a friend again, but this was only when we both undertood that we would only be nothing but friends. I think you are very confused, and you are looking for advice what to do.

Exactly. I am very convused and am looking for advice what to do. Otherwise I wouldn't be here asking for advice, so I don't understand why you think I don't belong here. You say it sounds like my ex is still in love with me. Maybe I didn't explain clearly enough, but I thought I stated that I wanted MORE and felt he wasn't putting in enough so I left. I didn't leave because I was no longer in love with him, but because I felt he was taking me for granted and I couldn't accept the little effort he was putting in. By the time he tried a little bit more, I was so hurt that I think I wanted to give him a big wake up call and was crying for attention. It's not like I was over him and thought "next." It was a very difficult thing to do, maybe NC in reverse if that makes sense.

Unfortunately your story is far too limited in information to comment upon, but I think you should start off with another forum as this is for people who want to get back with a ex for a second chance.

You're quick to pass judgement for someone who states that my story is far too limited in information to comment. If he wants a second chance and I am confused about it and need advice, you tell me which forum I should go to. I could ask for them to move my thread there. You sound like a perfectionist. Are you making sure everyone's thread is in the correct forum because I have seen many that I think would fit better in another forum but I don't make a stink about it.

Now the question to you is, do you want another chance? Only you can make that decison. After all you decided to split before your relationship could develop. Its people like you who dump their partners that create this forum. Its a bit of an irony for dumper to be on here.

I dumped him for the same reason many people do NC. Think about it a little bit. The relationship was like me waving my hand in front of his eyes with no response. All I did as I described in a previous post in this thread, was support him with his work, his projects. Everything was him him him and I he paid no attention to my needs. By the time he tested my limits over and over and this time noticed he had gone to far and was losing me, it was like a drop in the bucket what he tried to do to make up for all the neglect. Was I to run to him and kiss his feet for the crumbs he was finally throwing my way? I was too hurt.

Is your head in the clouds? Its all about you you and you. Can you at least give some examples why this man was so full of himself?

Because everything was about him. I'd have to listen to how his day was, how his work was going, help me with his projects, his errands, him him him him him him him to no end. Looking back I don't know how I stayed in that situation other than I was very nice, supportive and loved him while he treated me like a doormat. I began to resent the whole situation.

I m sorry, but that is very selfish statement saying something like that. Relationships are never easy. They are full of ups and downs. You jumped ship after a long trip, and things were going well.

Excuse me but I am the least selfish person. Things were not 'going well.' He FINALLY did one good thing and it made me realize even more on everything I had been missing out on for so long, spreading myself so thin for HIM HIM HIM at the cost of my needs and simple things expected from any relationship. It wasn't give and take. It was only give give give and I wore out. I don't know how I survived as long as I did.

Some people may never be compatible, but your story tells me nothing why you dumped him.

Then read it again. Or ask more questions. I didn't spill my guts but gave a general story but dam you are good at attacking.

Theres only one thing you have to remember. Its possible you suffer from low self esteem. A fear of commitment, or unable to communicate what you want in a relationship.

I think most of us do to certain degrees. If I sounded perfect, I'll be the first to say that I'm not. I have a lot of issues.

The last piece of advise I need to give to you is the grass is not always greener on the other side.

Refresh my memory because I don't remember any advice you've given so far other than calling me names like selfish. I'd actually like some advice and I've always known the grass isn't greener on the other side. It doesn't mean I am masochistic or whatever it's called, to want to continue inflicting so much pain by staing in a one sided relationship.

Do you really want this man after dumping him in the first place? What was the deciding factor? Maybe its the fact this man is showing you attention, and thats what you need. Whatever you do, do not get this man all wound up, get all his hopes up, and then dump him all over again. Its going to hurt him a hell of a lot more a SECOND time!!!:(

You know what, you sound very angry and bitter. You sound like I am dumping you and attacking me for it. If I needed his attention, I would've gotten back to him as soon as he contacted me instead of being torn. Do I put myself out there by getting back together only to risk being in the same situation again and feel hurt all over again? Will things be different?

Anyways, I have seen him twice so far and if anyone cares to know how it went and is interested to provide advice, please ask.

Whoa. Slow down girl. How about the verbal handshake. How are you doing and stuff?

May I add - first of all I m NOT here to attack anyone. Like you said to me about your post. Infact- why dont you read my email again. I ve definitely not said anything in my email to attack you in the slightest way.

I need to say my own quote

" Some people may never be compatible, but your story tells me nothing why you dumped him."

Your quote

Then read it again. Or ask more questions. I didn't spill my guts but gave a general story but dam you are good at attacking.

Like I said before. I ve read it again. Your story still tells me nothing. Its still too vague. I never attacked you here. I m only asking for more information. How about some examples etc?

Your quote

Refresh my memory because I don't remember any advice you've given so far other than calling me names like selfish.

I never called you selfish, but mentioned what you said was a `selfish statement`, which does not imply the fact you are.

I dumped him for the same reason many people do NC

I thought you said using the word `dump`, was too harsh?

You think you have it all figured out, why people are here, what they need to do and so on. I'm not an expert like you so I need help on what to do because unlike everyone else who seems to know what to do as you describe, I happen to not know.

Hey, I ve got nothing worked out. All I ve done is asked a few questions, gave a little bit of what I thought, and asked for more information. I get a whole load of accusations saying I m attacking you. I ve never met you before, I don`t even know you, so I m not here to say anything nasty to you.

You know what, you sound very angry and bitter. You sound like I am dumping you and attacking me for it

I dont need to say before I sound like a broken record. Read my post again. Maybe its the fact that I m honest, and I m giving you my opinion, and thats not what you want to hear. We are all in LS to gather each others opinons, and from that we can hope to decide, and go the direction we want to go. Like I said before, I m not bitter. Why would I have to be? Theres nothing about you, and what you have said to me to be bitter about. Okay, you`ve already accused me of attacking you. You`re now saying I m angry, but at what exactly? If you don`t undersatnd something, please just ask.

I think what you need is clarity and affirmation to say its alright to go back, after you walked away from your ex in the first place.

You talk about:

If he wants a second chance and I am confused about it

and

He has called a total of 4 times and has sent 3 emails in the 2 week period.

Well to me he wants a second chance. What more evidence do you need?

Things were not 'going well.'

Sorry, is it just me but didnt I read in your first post that:

Everything had been going great between us and after he had taken me on a nice trip

but later in you post you go on to say

Things were not 'going well.'

Indeed you sound very confused. I m not sure which way it went. If if was going well after your long trip, or not going well at all. Some slight contradictions there. Whichever way it went, and if you want more in your relationship. You need to communicate that. All I m saying here is just think if you do go back, and things go back to where they were. Hey, only you know what problems where there, and if you do go back. You can only sort that by talking to him. If you can`t talk to people you dont know without accusing them in the first place, then what chance do you have with your partner? Just talk to people with dignity, and compassion. Its nice to be nice.

Because everything was about him. I'd have to listen to how his day was, how his work was going, help me with his projects, his errands,

Surely that was not the deciding factor why you left? You need to tell us more about your relationship.

May I add - first of all I m NOT here to attack anyone. Like you said to me about your post. Infact- why dont you read my email again. I ve definitely not said anything in my email to attack you in the slightest way.

Sorry Uk, but it does look like an attack.

Fun2,

Don't get riled up about a couple of posters that have a bias because they relate to the dumpee. I totally understand where you're coming from. It sounds like you did the right thing. I once also had an ex try to take me on vacation when I had one foot out the door to try to make up for all of the nonsense he was putting me through. It didn't work as I was already completely disillusioned. Even our therapist blamed the failure of the relationship on him and the therapist was a guy. lol

There are a lot of guys who don't know what they had until it's gone. Those same guys think in the back of their minds that they can do better, the grass is greenr, they don't have to expend a lot of energy into making her happy. She should just be happy to be with him and as long as he get his needs met, who cares. Those are guys that you should avoid in the future. If you smell it when you first start dating, move on. Let them learn on someone else's time. Don't be a tutor. Find one that's been hurt by a woman he loved that he didn't realize how much he loved until she got tired of his neglect and not getting her needs met. He'll treat you like gold if he learned anything.

I'm surprised that you're going to meet up with him, however. Honestly, from my experience I've found that most people don't change.

No need to apologise Daphne. I dont think you`ve doing anything wrong. However, I m not being biased towards the dumpee here.

I cringing at the fact a dumper has dumped someone, and then wants a second chance. The dumpee in the mean time is calling dumper 4 times, and emailing too.

She wants a second chance. Its staring her in the face. Some people do change for the better, and some people don`t change at all. For Fun2bme, its up to her if she wants to meet up, and to find out if he has changed at all.

There are a lot of guys who don't know what they had until it's gone. Those same guys think in the back of their minds that they can do better, the grass is greenr,

Er, It was Fun2Bme that left, and not the other way round. Her ex never thought the grass was greener.

Like I said before, Daphne, it may `look` like I m attacking, but if you read my post, and not between the lines. What I m saying is that Fun2Bme wanted more, she didnt get what she wanted and she left. Now she wants a second chnace, but she`s willing to try.

All I`ve pointed out was that there has to be more communication between the both of them. I find it strange why a dumper would want a second chance, and yet be frightened to go back. (she already knows what the problems are. We dont. I ve asked for more information, and I aint getting any. So it could be that there are communication problems).

Now it may be different, if I was telling her off or call her names. I pointing out the fact that her post does have some contradictions. Like she said. Things were going well, and then later saying they were not. Well which is it? There are still no examples of what her ex did to make her leave. Like I said before, and I m sounding like a rapper now. She supported him in his projects, and run his errands. I mean is that too demanding? People have been dumped for bigger things.

Find one that's been hurt by a woman he loved that he didn't realize how much he loved until she got tired of his neglect and not getting her needs met. He'll treat you like gold if he learned anything.

Are you speaking about her ex here? He`s been hurt by Fun2bme leaving, and now has learned his lesson, and wants her back, and wants to treat her like gold because he`s learned what he`s lost.

Then again like said before. You need to tell us more about your relationship.

P.s We all learn from our mistakes. Thats what makes us human. If we dont learn, and we are stagnant, then there will be no room for change. Everyone here is an individual. You are right Daphne, some people don`t change, because they haven`t learnt from their mistakes. There some that do not want to change. However some people do, and those that do become a better developed person, and more ready for their next relationship.:love:

Devrapunzel

Bottom line: there is a second chance staring you right in the face. Do you want it or not? We can't predict if things will be different with him this time around or not. You know him - we don't. People do learn from their mistakes. If you think he may have and REALLLY do want a second chance, then what have you got to lose? However, if you are at all wishy-washy about this, do not, I repeat, DO NOT, go there. It's not fair.

AriaIncognito

I want to know what came of seeing him, Fun2bMe. What happened??? Give some of us second chancers hope??....

Jennifer

• Author
Sorry Uk, but it does look like an attack.

Fun2,

Don't get riled up about a couple of posters that have a bias because they relate to the dumpee. I totally understand where you're coming from. It sounds like you did the right thing. I once also had an ex try to take me on vacation when I had one foot out the door to try to make up for all of the nonsense he was putting me through. It didn't work as I was already completely disillusioned. Even our therapist blamed the failure of the relationship on him and the therapist was a guy. lol

There are a lot of guys who don't know what they had until it's gone. Those same guys think in the back of their minds that they can do better, the grass is greenr, they don't have to expend a lot of energy into making her happy. She should just be happy to be with him and as long as he get his needs met, who cares. Those are guys that you should avoid in the future. If you smell it when you first start dating, move on. Let them learn on someone else's time. Don't be a tutor. Find one that's been hurt by a woman he loved that he didn't realize how much he loved until she got tired of his neglect and not getting her needs met. He'll treat you like gold if he learned anything.

I'm surprised that you're going to meet up with him, however. Honestly, from my experience I've found that most people don't change.

Thanks for your understanding. As far as being surprised that I met up with him, you know I did mention how I was not returning his calls so it was not an easy decision. I came here first to get opinions but didn't really get anything so I eventually ended up calling him back after he kept callling again.

• Author
Bottom line: there is a second chance staring you right in the face. Do you want it or not? We can't predict if things will be different with him this time around or not. You know him - we don't. People do learn from their mistakes. If you think he may have and REALLLY do want a second chance, then what have you got to lose? However, if you are at all wishy-washy about this, do not, I repeat, DO NOT, go there. It's not fair.

I'm not sure why you say it's not fair. I am assuming you mean for him. What about me? Doesn't it occur to you that I was hurt that I loved him yet he wasn't returning what I was putting in, that it was difficult to walk away from someone you love because your needs are not being met. It would not be fair for me to put myself in a similar situation where I could get hurt all over again if he has not changed.

• Author
I want to know what came of seeing him, Fun2bMe. What happened??? Give some of us second chancers hope??....

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer. Here is an update on what happened. I went to see him last Friday (July 7th) after it had been exactly 2 years and 3 days of not seeing each other. I was so nervous about the whole thing.

He gave me a huge tight long hug at the door. It was very sweet and all the hurt I had bottled all this time began to go away. I didn't know if to expect him to be upset that I had left, or for him to apologize for possibly realizing he was at fault. I decided not to point the finger at him after all I never gave him the opportunity to change because I was too cowardly to speak up and instead thought my actions would speak volumes after I saw that he was realizing his neglect.

He expected me to get mad at him and when I took the blame, it was like a 180. I was so tempted to say why did you never do this why did you do that you caused everything to fall apart. Instead I bit my tongue and apologized for not having contacted him or returned any of his attempts at contacting me. He started to cry! That was a shock considering what a tough type he is. I was so moved and confused it was very emotional.

My intentions were to be 'just friends.' We ended up bonding like crazy. At first we talked as though we were only friends. He took me to a nice restaurant for dinner and asked about my relationships. I said for him to go first. It was very awkward but I broke the ice by saying there would be no hard feelings, we were no longer together ever since we left. He told me about a girl he was seeing. To my surprise my heart sank and I tried to hide it but he noticed and stopped talking and asked me. I said I didn't want to go there so we changed topics.

During dinner he said he couldn't wait to give me another hug later. The hug turned to more and we ended up having sex. It was so unplanned yet more passionate than we have ever been together.

He said he would see me the following Thursday but he called Monday to see me, then Thursday and out of the blue called me Friday to see me that night (yesterday). It is like we can't be apart now but I am still confused and scared that I am putting myself into this but that he might not have changed. It's hard to tell right now and we are moving way too fast!

• Author

Something terrible also happened but first I will wait to get a feedback before getting into it.

Brittanyjean06

This might be pretty late but you are not on the wrong thread. This site isn't just about those two particular subjects. So what if she dumped him?? she could have still loved him.

This site is a site for advice on love and alot more.

AriaIncognito
Something terrible also happened but first I will wait to get a feedback before getting into it.

Not really sure what in particular you need feedback on before telling what bad happened. It sounded like you had a nice time, catching up with him. So, what happened, has he fallen back into whatever caused you guys to spelit in the first place already?..

Jennifer

Fun,

I think you're moving way too fast. I think if you continue moving in this direction without any assurance that he's different, you're sure to repeat the past. And I'm not sure what's up with this other girl, but it sounds like he's cheating on her with you. Do you want this back?

We probably need more information. But I wish you hadn't slept with him. That's just sabotage.

• Author

As to the bad thing - I was peeking through his e-mailbox at his house and saw that he had messages from myspace members, stuff asking him to add them as a firend. This was yesterday the last time I saw him so I was eager to get back home to look up his page.

It turns out he has an account on it. He has posted his age younger and has all these girls including a stripper type. I clicked on her page and he is on her top 8 just like how she is on his so that has me all bugged out. I cried when I first saw it and was up all night which is when I posted here but then I got over it. I mean I haven't been in his life for 2 years.

He called me this afternoon asking to see me tomorrow and I said ok. I feel a little grown up because in the past I would've been hysterical but I am letting it go and taking one day at a time for whatever happens. It's strange because now he is more into me but I am being cautious like I don't want to wear my heart on my sleeves as I have done in the past. But we seem to be getting along better than we ever have before. I think we appreciate each other more and enjoy each other's company with more attention whereas before it was more like routine.

One other problem is that I was beginning to develop feelings for someone else right before he returned to my life. The other guy is still contacting me and he is still on my mind. Likewise, I am not so sure that he is not seeing the girl on his myspace account. I guess it can't be perfect but I don't want to have my heart broken in the end or to break anyone else's heart now that I know what that feels like from another relationship.

• Author

If it gives anyone hope, I will say that second chances can be good. I read a lot where people are saying to move on, but the ex is doing everything right he failed to do the first time around.