Reigniting feelings after many years?

Is it possible for people to meet again after years without seeing each other and have more or less "the same" feelings again?

This goes without saying that the reunioun would be in the ideal situation that none of the two is currently emotionally involved/married.

So, have you ever met an ex (or someone you really liked) after a long time and felt like trying something with them again? Did you feel that perhaps the feelings have always been there, sort of dormant?

:)

For me it's a no. When I break up or get broken up with, I immediately go to work getting them out of my system. So in my case when I see an ex of long ago, I feel nothing romantic for them and have zero desire to revisit. Obviously not the case for all.

Are you hoping to reconcile with someone?

I've run across a few ex's in the past and have felt nothing. One I did kind of still have some feelings for but she didn't. I think it's rare to come across an old flame and there still be those type of mutual feelings. I think it's mostly that both are over each other and have moved on. Feelings die and they can die quickly. Just because they were there once doesn't mean it can happen again.

This happened with an ex of mine. THE ex. The soulmate love type ex. The feelings were still there. Unfortunately, so were the issues with each other's personalities that caused us to break up in the first place. He had become someone I didn't really have much respect for anymore. For me, it was heartbreaking to find that there will never be another time for us. I actually had to get over that again, and it was painful.

I don't think it's this way for every reunion, though. But it does happen.

• Like 1

My ex boyfriends parents met in high school and dated for a few years before deciding to end things during college. After college they reconnected and are 20+ years happily married.

I met my ex in high school too and we just recently broke up after a year of long distance with him away at school. We talked about hopefully reconnecting in a few years maybe after we both graduate like his parents did. I know for a few people the feelings are still there. I really hope that in a couple years we will both be single and can try to restart a relationship that works out.

• Author

Are you hoping to reconcile with someone?

No, not really. Just thinking about the topic... There's this person in my life that I could say fits into the "right person, wrong moment". Hasn't reached the THE ONE level (yet), but definitely wrong timing. So it would be nice to think that it's not 100% inconceivable to imagine a reconnection when timing is better... Why not, right?

• Like 2
  • Author
My ex boyfriends parents met in high school and dated for a few years before deciding to end things during college. After college they reconnected and are 20+ years happily married.

Nice to hear their story! :)

Perhaps when the person is THE person for you, time doesn't erase it, I don't know. I guess I believe it... not saying it's my case or yours, anyway...

Southwardbound
Is it possible for people to meet again after years without seeing each other and have more or less "the same" feelings again?

This goes without saying that the reunioun would be in the ideal situation that none of the two is currently emotionally involved/married.

So, have you ever met an ex (or someone you really liked) after a long time and felt like trying something with them again? Did you feel that perhaps the feelings have always been there, sort of dormant?

:)

Yes it's possible. Current MM and I had a previously serious relationship, but circumstances led us then, twenty-three years ago to not being together. We, then didn't see each other for roughly 19 years. Never had a formal break-up. And yes, the feelings were still just as intense as before, when we struck back up. We've been seeing each other regularly again now for just over two years.

• Like 1

Yes. My first ever boyfriend and I never had a proper break-up, he shifted to the other end of the country for university and we just drifted apart (no Skype etc. back then.) We both moved on to other partners.

Then he contacted me out of the blue 20 years later via an internet page I had joined. We were both single by then. He lived on the other side of the world. He came home for a visit and called me and arranged to meet up, we did. The feelings were still there for us both and we had a night of passion. I knew it wouldn't go anywhere due to our completely different lifestyles.

I don't keep in contact with him anymore as I have a new husband, but I did go to his brother's funeral a few months ago and he was home for it. He still makes my heart flutter. Good thing he still lives on the other side of the world.