with my broken heart

PatTheMurse16

Hello everyone, this is my first post ever on here.

I have a question for people who have gone through a similar situation or have been in this situation before... My girlfriend, well now ex-girlfriend, of 3 years recently broke up with me about a week and a half ago. Everything was great between us, this summer was difficult and we had our fair share of fights due to stresses of school, work, etc. but we got over it. Now we live in the same town but she goes away to college for the school year and I stay at home.

I am 22y.o. and she is 19. We both lost our virginity to each other and are extremely comfortable with one another. She said that the reason she wanted to break up with me is because she wants to experience the single life again and find herself (since we started the relationship when she was 15). She told me that she loves me but not as much as I love her. She told me not to wait around for her and that I should experience the single life as well. I do not want this. During the relationship we had talked about our future together- marriage, kids, and growing old together so I was absolutely heart broken about this, because I felt as if this would never happen now. I have been better these past few days thanks to the help of friends and family.

So we tried the no contact rule but that didn't last... She texted me saying she misses talking to me and still cares about me as a friend and hopes that we can still update each other like friends. I told her that I need time to adjust to my new situation and how it would be hard considering I still have feelings for her. When I left, after she broke up with me she kissed me and said that I will always be her best friend.

With all the above details explained:

1) Do you think there is any way we will get back together? If so, when? Also, this is our 2nd break up- I broke up with her 2 years ago, earlier in our relationship because I was going away to school but we got back together within 4 or 5 months because I realized she was the one for me and I had made a terrible mistake.

2) Do I accept her friendship? I don't want to be friend-zoned if my plan is to ultimately be with her but I also really miss talking with her. I also don't want her to be mad at me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated- thank you so much.

I think there is a chance you'll get back together. Personally I think she's gonna regret it down the line just like you did. Especially since there's no bad blood and she calls you her 'best friend'. She very well may find someone else though, but only time is gonna be able to give you that answer.

I personally wouldn't be her friend though. That would just hurt me in the long run since I would be just wanting something more from her. You don't have to hate her....I would just politely ask her to give you space. She should be able to respect that.