Family time with ex

Yesterday my Daughter asked if her Dad (my ex) could eat dinner with us as a family before she went to his for the weekend.

This is the ex I have been wanting to ask for a second chance with for a while, I was stressing, and worrying it was going to be full of awkward silences. But it was the total opposite, we all had a lovely time chatting and eating, my ex made my daughter laugh and spit her drink everywhere and all three of us where doubled over laughing. It was comfortable, and nice, and the closest thing to a date I have had in nearly two years, lol. A little part of me was hoping it wasn't going to be nice, that it would be weird and awkward, simply because it would have made my life alot simpler, if it had been a flop I would have known that reconciliation probably was never going to be a thing, and I could have moved on. But now I definitely can't move on, I feel so happy when I am with him.

I don't know where to go from here though, he split from his long term girlfriend about 3 1/2 months ago, I am a bit worried that she is wanting him back too, she has been posting things on his facebook that make me wonder if she might want him back....

You don't have to answer here but you need to know 2 things before you try to get back with him.

1. What were the issues that broke you up?

2. Have those issues been fully resolved?

If the issues were not addressed you will be right back where you were.

• Author

As far as I am concerned issues mainly boiled down immaturity on both sides, and the stress of having a child when we where both young (we where both 18 when I had our daughter) I feel like the both of us have done alot of growing up in the 6 1/2 years we have been apart.

Maryyanksfan

Hi- I am new here but your post resonated with me. I have been divorced for 2 years but see my ex often in the setting you have described. It's easy to think of how comfortable it is w each other - especially as neither of us is seeing anyone new.

That being said- the response about whether the issues that drove us apart being fully resolved stopped me in my tracks// in our case it was active alcoholism and I know he is not involved in recovery which is the line in the sand.

I appreciate reading your story as well- and wish you luck if reconciliation is what may happen for you!

Mary

Why not do more things together with your daughter - that way you can get to spend more time with him and see if anything develops from there. You can casually mention places you know she wants to go to and let him know he's vey welcome to join you both.

I'm all for compatible parents being together and you were very young when you had your daughter., so perhaps you're both mature enough now and at least there was no cheating on either side.

Mrs T