Why can't I stop thinking about him - am I supposed to contact him?

HansonGirl

I went out with a guy five years ago. Yes you read that right, five years ago. He was in my grad school class, and I saw him daily. He took me out to dinner, but it was right after he got out of a long term relationship. We talked and then we went out for a drink. He told me personal things. he told me he was really attracted to me. He did not want a relationship then (not surprising, since he just got out of a long relationship), we made out but, we decided to just be friends. But we weren't really friends, because we would flirt with each other and it was a game. It was a push and a pull. One day i'd give him the cold shoulder, and the next time he'd give me the cold shoulder. then the next time we'd click and we'd playfully banter. I was very confused at the time - I told him that I am attracted to him too and I like him, but he didnt want anything, and he made that clear. A year later though, we did go home together after a party, and hookedup multiple times that night, and then I ran away at the crack of dawn. He texted me a couple hours later to say he "likes someone else" and I pretended like I didn't care, and then (evidentially) tried to be friends with me and started inviting me to his get-togethers and I acted very childishly and refused to attend any of them. I eventually told him that I can't be friends with him because he hurt me. after that, we drifted away, but the few times we did interact we were very gentle with one another, even though it was so tense between us. And i ran into his friend at a party, who i had only met like one time back when we were "friends" and he remembered my name and grabbed my waist. It made me wonder what the guy had said about me, because either his freind has a really good memory or the guy had said something about me.

Although he wasn't the most gentlemanly guy in the world, in fact he was sort of a jerk, I cannot stop thinking about him. He lives 1,000 miles away. And I can't figure out why I always go back to thinking about him. is it because I felt like we really did click when we were one-on-one? It was almost like it frightened me. I would get so nervous when he'd come around after we had our falling out. I would be unable to hide my physical manifestations of nervousness. but i haven't seen him now in 2 years and he has made appearances in some of my dreams. Is it because I regret how I acted in the scenario? or that I handled it childishly? And i feel like I want to message him but I wouldn't even know what i'd even say. i am sure that some of you will be able to talk some sense into me....

Edited by HansonGirl
Marco Valerio

I would say...do text him, just to see. You never know what would happen, and I can't see much of problem in your case to do so. Two years without contact is quite a time.

You might reconnect in a way with him, or you might not. Give it a chance, you are not losing anything by doing it and you are not putting yourself in a difficult spot either.

• Like 1
  • Author
I would say...do text him, just to see. You never know what would happen, and I can't see much of problem in your case to do so. Two years without contact is quite a time.

You might reconnect in a way with him, or you might not. Give it a chance, you are not losing anything by doing it and you are not putting yourself in a difficult spot either.

Thanks for the response. I don't even know what I'd say though if I did messaged him! I'd feel weird just messaging him out of the blue and acting like nothing happened and being like hey what's up.