In your experience, do second chances be as good or better than the first one?

Marco Valerio

Marco Valerio

What are your experiences? I believe that having a past together that didn't work, and possibly having bad stuff in your backpack, can make it really hard to make it work.

xpaperxcutx

In my experience, it didn't work out the second time because I hadn't changed during the breakup. There were still a lot of issues that were unresolved and it was only masked and bubbled up to the surface when things got rough.

If there really are second chances, both parties have to let the past stay in the past and let experiences start fresh and anew. Rather than blame, there has to be a lot of communication and understanding of what expectations are. Boundaries are also important so that you know not to push dangerous buttons.

• Like 1

Depends on the circumstances of the breakup. If the problem was something like both were in different stages in their life etc and broke up amicably it's fine. If their history is cheating, lieing or even violence, crowned with a terrible breakup - nope, nothing good can come of that.

• Like 2

I'd say no unless it's been MANY years since they dated. An example where they were young lovers, late teens or early 20's and they simply needed to sow their oats. Then, they reconnect 5-10 years later when they are both more mature and settled.

For couples to reconcile after only a short time or less than 5 years, it's not going to work out. There will still be hurt feeling, strong memories of issues and reminders that it didn't work the first time.

• Like 1
xpaperxcutx

This topic raises another important question- will the dumper come back for you if they lost respect for you?

For example:I have a friend who's ex left her for another woman. In the interim, she went NC, and was recently contacted by him for FWB. OF course she turned him down, and said that she will never be an FWB. He is still with the new girl.

My friend got kudo points for shooting him down, but will this make him view her in a different light as well to mean that there will be the possibility of a second chance?

Simon Phoenix
I'd say no unless it's been MANY years since they dated. An example where they were young lovers, late teens or early 20's and they simply needed to sow their oats. Then, they reconnect 5-10 years later when they are both more mature and settled.

For couples to reconcile after only a short time or less than 5 years, it's not going to work out. There will still be hurt feeling, strong memories of issues and reminders that it didn't work the first time.

Can't say I agree with the "at least five years" sentiment in this post. My sister and a friend of mine both married on their second chance and didn't need five years to do it. They needed significant NC (at least 7 months in both cases) and they needed to evolve to where the second chance was a second relationship, not a lazy reboot of the first. The evolving, growing and desiring a different, better relationship with the old person is where you can have success -- simply trying to go back in time to channel the good parts of the relationship is an exercise in foolishness. Because when you try to access the past good times like nothing's changed, the past bad times will come along and you're back to the same crappy, flawed relationship that died before.

It takes time to do this, but putting a specific cap on it isn't accurate IMO.

• Like 1
Simon Phoenix
This topic raises another important question- will the dumper come back for you if they lost respect for you?

For example:I have a friend who's ex left her for another woman. In the interim, she went NC, and was recently contacted by him for FWB. OF course she turned him down, and said that she will never be an FWB. He is still with the new girl.

My friend got kudo points for shooting him down, but will this make him view her in a different light as well to mean that there will be the possibility of a second chance?

If he dumped her then wanted FWB, then no. Once you're seen as an FWB, especially by a man, it's extremely difficult to shed that label. He might have more respect for her down the road, but the odds of that respect netting romantic reconciliation are low.

xpaperxcutx
If he dumped her then wanted FWB, then no. Once you're seen as an FWB, especially by a man, it's extremely difficult to shed that label. He might have more respect for her down the road, but the odds of that respect netting romantic reconciliation are low.

He didn't want to be with her because he's with another woman. Yet, he won't mind having her as fwb?

Why doesn't he just dump his current gf if he's not getting his physical needs met?

Simon Phoenix
He didn't want to be with her because he's with another woman. Yet, he won't mind having her as fwb?

Why doesn't he just dump his current gf if he's not getting his physical needs met?

Because he's a douche and wants a slampiece on the side?

• Like 1
xpaperxcutx
Because he's a douche and wants a slampiece on the side?

My friend told me that he had wanted to save sex with the current gf for marriage. She was told that he was still very attracted to her and that if she wanted, he is willing to a fwb as long as she never wanted anything serious with him.

The ex was a douche. I'm glad my friend immediately shot him down.

• Like 1
My friend told me that he had wanted to save sex with the current gf for marriage. She was told that he was still very attracted to her and that if she wanted, he is willing to a fwb as long as she never wanted anything serious with him.

The ex was a douche. I'm glad my friend immediately shot him down.

He'll save the sex with his gf until marriage, but he'll have sex with his old girlfriend -aka- cheat on his gf.

This guy is a piece of work.

• Like 2

"Never As Good As The First Time"

Good times they come and they go

Never going to know

What fate is going to blow

You're way just hope it feels right

Sometimes it comes and it goes

You take it ever so slow

And then you lose it, then it flows right to you

So we rely on the past

Special moments that last

Were they as tender as we dare to remember

Such a fine time as this

What could equal the bliss

The thrill of the first kiss

It'll blow right to you

It's never as good as the first time

Never as good as the first time

Good times they come and they go

Never going to know

It's like the weather

One day chicken next day feathers

The rose we remember

The thorns we forget

We'd love and leave

We never spend a minute on regret

It is a possibility

The more we know the less we see

Second time, second time is not quite what it seems

Natural as the way we came to be

Second time won't live up to the dream

It's never as good as the first time

Never as good as the first time

Second time is not quite what it seemed

It's never

As good as the first time

As the first time (Never as good as the first time)

The First time

Second time is not quite what it seemed

It's never

As good as the first time

As the first time (never as good as the first time)

The first time

• Like 1

I think the second chance / time around, is a similar feeling or even better feeling than the very first date, if it works out.

xpaperxcutx
I think the second chance / time around, is a similar feeling or even better feeling than the very first date, if it works out.

That really depends on whether the dumper wants to come back and make it work.

I think it depends on if both parties are working on the issue(s) that broke them up in the first place. My boyfriend and I broke up for 3.5 months back in February, got back together in June. Honestly it isn't all rainbows and butterflies, but we are going a hell of a lot better than we did the first time around in our relationship because we are working on what broke us up in the first place. It can happen, but it takes work. Mind you there was never any cheating, lying or huge issues in my relationship that broke us up so it is definitely a case by case. I guess it just depends..