Two years of separation

My ex and I met young I was only 18. We have young children together. Durring our marriage of 9 years my husband was deployed to afganistan multiple times. He can back from his last tour with PTSD and serious drug problems. I fought for year to get him the help I felt he needed. We also have two special needs children aswell. I became a mother to the man that I needed to help me. I pushed and pushed for him to get better. My constant nagging about what I felt he needed to do really hurt our relationship. I ended up having an affair. I told him. He decided to leave the our marriage. Shortly after I had a mental break down and lost custody of my children to protective services. The children were place with him.

We currently have the children week on week off. Protective service is still involved due to the high conflict between us.

Durring this time that we have been seperated we have both have had a live in new partner.

I have just split with mine. He has just split with his. We decided to meet for the first time in two year to discuss issues our son is having. Durring our conversation we both appolized for the brutal two year long custody battle we are still in. We agreed to stop court and settle custody. He gave me money not much but this is the first time in over two years. He is currently 15000 in debt for back support owe to me. I recently lost my job and have been unable to move from my recent new partners place. He said he would help by paying down his debt to me. Since then he has been making payments.

Since then he and I have casually been texting. Prior our only contact was through lawyers. No call no e mail no share doctors visits nothing. He and I have also talked on the phone. And met a few times for coffee. He now want to see where things will go. He has gotten better with managing his PTSD. He is not taking drugs. He has recognized his faults in our marriage. For those of you that have reconciled how do you go about knowing when to take step foward. How do you when small children are involved?

A few days ago we were at an appointment with the children and my daughter said as we are on our way home. Why was dad there he never comes when you take us. Has anyone delt with these issues before?