It's been 10 years should I message him?

Julie blue

Hi,

Wanted to get advice about the situation I am in. In college, I met this guy at work over the summer around 9 or so years ago. We had a fun summer romance but time went on and the distance away from each other made it difficult. He ended up telling me that something was stopping him from being committed at the time. We ended up staying friends for a few months after that and talked pretty much every day. I still held out hope that once we were home again from college we would get back together.

The next summer we got into a fight because I wanted more and he didn't. I ended up finding a new boyfriend a few weeks later. I don't know if he was jealous or not but he kept sending me messages about getting together and hanging out and how sorry he was for the fight we had. I never got back to him because I was upset that he kind of led me on my still talking to me when he knew what my intentions were with him. I felt bad for never responding but at the time I didn't want to jeopardize my new relationship. If he really wanted me he should have said something to me about it I thought at the time.

Anyway, we lost contact and I haven't seen or spoken with him for over 10 years. I've always wondered what would have been if we had stayed in touch. This week I logged in to my dating profile and low and behold there he was on the same dating site as me as someone Id be a good match with. I want to send him a light message just saying "hi" But worry I might be coming off as creepy. I thought maybe now that were both in our late twenties things might work out. At the same time do people's feelings really change and is he upset with me for completely shutting him out. What do you think? Message him or not?

Edited by Julie blue
You only live once. What do you have to lose?

I say go for it, but keep it light at first :)

Was going to say the same thing :).

Though I don't quite get the timeline, OP :o.

I agree with Cedar, keep it light and witty. You don't know, it could turn out that he maybe the love of your life :D

I don't think he would be upset with you. After all it's been ten years now and besides it was quite understandable that you cut him off because you had a new BF.

Good luck!

Edited by Light Breeze
  • Author

Thanks for the advice. Is there something to be said about leaving the past in the past though and that a persons feelings won't really change? I'm scared of looking creepy and desperate.

Julie,

It's been 10 years! This is a new slate, chances are it's going to be fine. If not, then what have you got to lose?

In my opinion, as long as there was no cheating or abuse, then it's fair game. :) Just keep it light and slow, make it like a reacquaintance or something and you won't look creepy or desperate.