Mixed signals from ex-girlfriend

Hi everyone, thanks in advance for reading this. I'll try to keep it short.

My ex-girlfriend and I broke up about 2 years ago for a bunch of little reasons that just added up to the point that it couldn't work anymore. We share the same friends so we kept seeing each other from time to time, and eventually she got a new boyfriend. They were together for 1.5 years and just broke up about 2 months ago. We're both in our mid 20s.

Shortly after, she started to slowly ramp up some major signs of interest toward me. We've always had pretty strong chemistry and get along very well so that's not really surprising. Anyway, the signs of interest kept building more and more each day, with her texting me nonstop and trying to find excuses for us to hang out, even going so far as to suggest we start a business together (I know, that's weird). Even our friends kept telling me that we're most definitely going to get back together based on the way we we're acting. The thing is, any time we go out it's always on her terms. If she wants to go to dinner, we go. If I invite her to do something, she gives me some bull**** excuse like she has to go grocery shopping or clean her house.

Last week we went to dinner, had a few drinks, then she invited me back to her place. I absolutely did not want to have sex since it's still pretty early and I think it's important that we take it slowly since I don't want to ruin the social dynamic with our friends. We held hands, cuddled, and watched some movies. I spent the night since I had a few too many drinks but I just stayed on the couch while she went to bed.

The next day, she did a 180 and everything was completely different. From there on out, she stopped texting as much and it has now trickled down to almost no contact from her at all. If I initiate contact, she replies enthusiastically and everything but seems to purposely cut the conversation short. I asked if she wanted to see a movie last night to test the waters and she said she had too much to do around the house. This kind of behavior has gone on for about a week now and she's getting more and more distant even though I've given her plenty of space...which I realize is probably hard to believe based on how badly I'm nitpicking this whole situation.

A few days earlier I was out with her and some of our friends and she snapped at me pretty hard for no apparent reason. Like I'd just be sitting there talking to someone and she'd yell at me for rambling or being too loud. She also makes it a point to not laugh at my jokes like she's trying to prove a point or something. She has fluctuated back and forth from anger to indifference toward me and it's getting pretty confusing when you compare it to how interested in me she's acted the last couple of months.

Any insight or a plan of action would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for taking the time to read this!

Sounds like the window closed. You had your shot, you rejected her (at least in her mind), now she's not interested anymore. I'd back off completely at this point. You pressing the issue and checking in isn't going to do anything positive.