It ended two weeks ago.

theEraser

Two week ago my girlfriend broke up with me. We dated for over 6 months, which I know my not seem like a long time, but things between her and I were dang near perfect and we both said that things between us came easy and we were just so comfortable around each other. It was never a challenge. Anyway, things didn't get rough until the second week of August.

But things between her and I were going good. then her best friends dad had a heart attack and she canceled plans. i told her it was no biggie, go be with your friend, i'd do the same thing. Saw her at the end of the week, got some drink, made out a bit, but she worked all day and headed home around 11.

Went out with my brother and his friends the next night and she was out with her cousins and one of their girlfriends that night. my brother wanted to see my gf because they are friends. we go, and she like ignores me basically. I was pissed, told her I was leaving and kissed her on the cheek and left. Then she texts me at like 2 am, saying "sorry." I said, "for what?"

She goes on and on, saying she's a lousy gf and that she doesn't want me to get hurt. I told her that we should talk about this in the morning. we got together the next day for dinner and talked about things. she told me that when things happen (her friends dad in the process of dying) she kind of closes off to everyone. I said that alright, people handle things differently. Told her I was there if she ever wanted to talk about it or anything.

I asked her what she was going on about last night, she said she's lousy because I was putting in 100% to the relationship and she just couldn't because her mind was so clouded. I asked her, "do you want to put in the effort" or "do you not want to put in the effort?" she was like, no I do, i just am struggling right now and can't focus on anything and that she's not used to having to consider the feelings of someone else. So i said fine, i get that. told her that she was going through a lot with her new full time job, and her friends dad.

Her best friends dad died the next day, which also happened to be the same day we had nasty floods. Her house and car got hit hard and her parents were out of town, so she was pretty busted up. Told her again, do you need anything at all, i'm here. but from out convo the day before she said that she would be MIA probably for the week because her friend (dead dad friend) was leaving for school soon and wanted to be there for her. which i understood.

Our dinner talk was the last actual time we saw each other before the breakup. I tried to make plans with her the next week because we couldnt over the weekend. everything seemed normal, she was busy and tired from work, I mean our texting kind of slowed down, but nothing to abnormal. and she would always initiate conversation.

We were making plans for saturday of that week and then the next day we were texting and all was normal. then she was like, "do you think we could go for a walk when you're off work?" I said sure, something on your mind? she said, yea, a couple things.

So we met and asked her what was up. she said that she just can't do this right now. I said, you have had a lot going on, friends dad, new job, the floods. You're under a lot of stress. she's like yea, but i don't want to use that as an excuse. I said, up until now, we haven't had any problems, things have been easy. You've never struck me as the type of person to just quit. She said, with everything happening, i just pushed us into the back of my mind and its not fair to you. more words were exchanged. I walked her back to her car and told her that I cared for her a whole lot that shed alway have a piece of my heart. she agreed and said the same and that she does care for me.

I didn't beg, but told her i know i wouldn't change her mind, but that again we haven't had any adversity, and that we could take a step back. didn't contact her at all until she texted me last saturday.

I really want to talk to her and even after some hard thinking I know she still has feelings for me. I am thinking of writing her a letter and mailing it to her about some things. I want her back and I had this super real dream that her and i had a conversation in person about it. idk my mind has to much going on in it.

After the breakup I didn't contact her at all, which was very difficult. But she texted me a week after and said, "I know I'm not the person you want to hear from, but I hope your first days of law school went well! I know you'll do great." I took some time to think about what to do and texted her later in the day, "Thanks (her name). I hope all is well and have a great birthday on monday." she replied, "Same to you and thank you." Haven't reached out since or heard from her and I really want to reach out, but people are saying give it some more time.

it just seemed so sudden because things were good, then the week all those external things happened. she always went on about how blessed she felt to have me because i was so kind and genuine and "a good one." I miss my friend and I did write her a letter the other day because I don't know how to reach out to her and asked a close friend to read it over to make sure it didn't come off whiny or desperate, which they said it did not. I can post here if people would like. Thanks for reading.

And a couple days after the breakup I had a dream, very vivid and realistic looking, where her and I were sitting in a car and she was telling me that she needed time to figure herself out. That it could be days or weeks, but that she wanted me there and us to be together. In the dream I responded that only if next time things get difficult she promises to work things out. Idk the timing and nature of the dream seemed odd all things considered.

Also, I am 24 and she is 22. I do think there is a good chance of us getting back together because I can feel it in my gut. I don't need her, I want her and I miss her like crazy. I am trying to look at things objectively and know we may not get back together, but I will kick myself if I don't make an effort and miss out.

Edited by theEraser
  • 2 weeks later...

You are both still young. I remember being around that age and feeling overwhelmed by a serious relationship. She sounds like she may not be ready for something so serious and is telling you to back off, listen to her.

• Like 1