A general question for guys

ASortaFairytaleWY

ASortaFairytaleWY

Once you lose that spark for a girl, regardless of if/how long you dated and went NC... do you have more or less respect for her if she accepts an offer of friendship down the line?

Obviously it would depend on why you are offering the friendship. Let's assume it's because you either:

-Miss her

-Really want to keep her as a friend

-Feel guilty about what happened

-Using the offer to soften the blow of breaking up / protect your reputation with mutual friends

-Want her as a back up plan

Or some combination of those. Insight is appreciated!

I don't see how this has anything to do with respect for them. It's entirely about whether you have any SELF-respect.

The first two reasons are acceptable and honorable. The next three are self-serving and dishonorable, and if those are your motivations you shouldn't have any respect for yourself. The other person has no knowledge of your motivations unless you tell them, so there is no way to judge them for whatever choice they make to an overture.

ThorntonMelon

I don't think you can discuss generic "guys".

I don't know how anyone is friends with an ex. I know Seinfeld made that popular in the sitcom culture, but I don't think it's a realistic expectation. I suppose you can be friends years and years down the line - but early on, one of you wants something more. Its an unbalanced relationship.