It's been many years, am I a fool??

I had a friend when I was back high school. We'll call her Nat. She was so beautiful my heart desired to be with her so much. She had a boyfriend at the time and they would be off and on. In one of those off times I called her we talked a for about an hour and a half. Which I took as a pretty good sign considering that was our first real phone conversation, we would only socialize through get togethers amongst mutual friends. I asked her to the movies (I know I know, I was maybe 17) and she politely declined. I heard from a friend she said I was "So cute". But this point in my life I felt like if I was more mature it could've definitely gone different.

I was a boy back then. I feel now I have grown an ENORMOUS amount in regards to my maturity, yet I know I have much to go.

I've been in a relationship with a different girl for three years, and she was AMAZING but I didn't truly love her. I broke up with her recently for a few reasons...

One reason being is that there hasn't been one single day that has gone by where I haven't thought of Nat. Not one. And to be honest I still have a feeling for her and dream of SOME kind of interaction with her.

I know she has a facebook but I haven't added her yet. I want to take some time for myself after my past relationship and then eventually add her and initiate contact. I have no idea how her life is or if she's even available. It's been 4 years since we've had an interaction of any kind.

Am I a fool to have thrown away a good relationship in the hopes of maybe having a legitimate chance again to win Nat's love?

ThorntonMelon

Well, if you dumped her specifically for Nat - yes. You should google limerence and probably find a counselor to work on those issues.

Specific to the fact that you loved someone more than the girl you were with - absolutely you weren't a fool.

Just don't think you're ending up with Nat. Just find someone who steals your heart away just as much.

• Author

I did pretty much that.. Dumping her to pursue Nat. I'll look up limerence, im not familiar with the term.

And I know ending up with Nat is no guarantee at all. But I felt like I would've been in a better place regardless.

If she declined you once, it's unlikely she'll be thrilled with you now. She'll remember you how you were then. Cute can be she thinks it's cute someone has a crush on her. I suppose you need to get it out of the way though, but i hope you don't just go in and get one foot wet and then stand in the puddle for the next 5 years before giving up. If you're going in, go in, post current photos of yourself and your interests, drop her a message and ask her out IF she messages back.

• Author

I don't believe it is limerence and I'll tell you why. One time I bumped into her on campus in our first year with her bf then. She looked happy and that made me happy. I never met her man before but I was respectful and introduced myself.

Also if it wouldn't work out with her, sure I'd be hurt and sad. But I would try to find someone who would make me feel like that, perhaps even more so.

And preraph, I think if she remembers how I was back then compared to now it would actually be in my benefit. She'd be a little surprised how much confidence I have now compared to back then. Not only that but my body language is much better and so on.

I had a friend when I was back high school. We'll call her Nat. She was so beautiful my heart desired to be with her so much. She had a boyfriend at the time and they would be off and on. In one of those off times I called her we talked a for about an hour and a half. Which I took as a pretty good sign considering that was our first real phone conversation, we would only socialize through get togethers amongst mutual friends. I asked her to the movies (I know I know, I was maybe 17) and she politely declined. I heard from a friend she said I was "So cute". But this point in my life I felt like if I was more mature it could've definitely gone different.

I was a boy back then. I feel now I have grown an ENORMOUS amount in regards to my maturity, yet I know I have much to go.

I've been in a relationship with a different girl for three years, and she was AMAZING but I didn't truly love her. I broke up with her recently for a few reasons...

One reason being is that there hasn't been one single day that has gone by where I haven't thought of Nat. Not one. And to be honest I still have a feeling for her and dream of SOME kind of interaction with her.

I know she has a facebook but I haven't added her yet. I want to take some time for myself after my past relationship and then eventually add her and initiate contact. I have no idea how her life is or if she's even available. It's been 4 years since we've had an interaction of any kind.

Am I a fool to have thrown away a good relationship in the hopes of maybe having a legitimate chance again to win Nat's love?

4 years seems to be a long time to still have someone on the brain.

Anyway, youre in love with the fantasy of this girl, because you havent gone out with her.

You dont know her personally

All you've developed is that fantasy

I say you try to find her now, since youre free, but I sense that it will be totally different in reality

• Like 4

Don't waste your time pursuing her, you can try if you still aren't convinced or you believe that you have something new to offer her such as a radical physical transformation. Otherwise I would just keep my options open and search for other women in the real world, not online.

ChessPieceFace

Yep. But love is foolish.

Only way for you to get over your crush is to ask her out again. You'll almost definitely be rejected, because she rejected you previously, and because you haven't changed as much as you think. So do it, cry your tears then move on with your life.

• Like 1
  • Author

Anyway, youre in love with the fantasy of this girl, because you havent gone out with her.

I say you try to find her now, since youre free, but I sense that it will be totally different in reality

I know I haven't gone out with her and I know that I really didn't know her personality. I realize it's a bit of a fantasy as well..

I also realize that she may not be the person she was those many years ago. I unfortunately have not been able to let go of her though..

Don't waste your time pursuing her, you can try if you still aren't convinced or you believe that you have something new to offer her such as a radical physical transformation. Otherwise I would just keep my options open and search for other women in the real world, not online.

It's not just a physical transformation. I am more mature, responsible, and focused. I'm not claiming to be a brand new person. But I have worked hard to develop myself both inside and out. And she was in the "real world" at one point.

Inner development means practically nothing to women in there real world, that stuff only counts once your in a relationship or already dating them, it will not create initial attraction no matter how nice and confident you are.

• Like 1

You wasted some "amazing girls" time that you didn't love for 3 years on some girl that you have never even been on a date with? Did you tell her that you loved her?

reckon you need to follow your heart . The grass isnt greener, but you will see soon enough.

bubbaganoosh

You know what they say, "$h!t in one hand, wish in the other and see what you get first.

Why you would throw a good thing away for a pipe dream is beyond me. Got a feeling that your going to have a big regret with this one.

But I'll wish you good luck anyway.

• Author

I agree that that is a strong possibility.

Inner development means practically nothing to women in there real world, that stuff only counts once your in a relationship or already dating them, it will not create initial attraction no matter how nice and confident you are.

Yes yes I am aware that's not all it takes. You need "game", or "swag" as kids like to say now. I have a lot more now than I did back then. I'm not too worried about that.

You wasted some "amazing girls" time that you didn't love for 3 years on some girl that you have never even been on a date with? Did you tell her that you loved her?

Sadly I did. And I stopped about half way through the relationship and it really hurt her. I am very ashamed of this.

reckon you need to follow your heart . The grass isnt greener, but you will see soon enough.

You know what they say, "$h!t in one hand, wish in the other and see what you get first.

Why you would throw a good thing away for a pipe dream is beyond me. Got a feeling that your going to have a big regret with this one.

But I'll wish you good luck anyway.

You guys may be right... I hope not though :/

Men, go after her its no big deal 4 years is good time for her to change

I'm sorry I don't exactly understand your comment. It might be a good thing she changed but it also could be bad. I won't know until I see her..

I mean a long time ago she somewhat rejected you, if you still interested find her. It's not a big deal. It's not like if she says no you will die. You don't really have much to lose. She is just one girl. If things don't go the way you planned, you move on.

• Like 1

I just hope you have no intentions of trying to get your girlfriend back if Nat rejects you. As for breaking up with your girlfriend, I think its a good thing because you didn't love her. As for Nat... I think you have a really unhealthy thing going on with her. You aren't even facebook friends? I am facebook friends with girls I went to kinder garden with. And as for growing up man I don't think you are as mature as you think you are. Breaking up with a girlfriend just for the 1 in a million chance at some girl you don't even know sounds really "young" to me. Did you try facebook friending her yet?

• Author
I just hope you have no intentions of trying to get your girlfriend back if Nat rejects you. As for breaking up with your girlfriend, I think its a good thing because you didn't love her. As for Nat... I think you have a really unhealthy thing going on with her. You aren't even facebook friends? I am facebook friends with girls I went to kinder garden with. And as for growing up man I don't think you are as mature as you think you are. Breaking up with a girlfriend just for the 1 in a million chance at some girl you don't even know sounds really "young" to me. Did you try facebook friending her yet?

I let go of my old girlfriend for good. I figured she deserved the same love she gave me. I just made my facebook so I only have my immediate group of friends added. Im going to eventually add Nat. I have found her on there, I just havent added her. I know I didn't truly know her inside and out but its not like we were strangers. If we bumped into eachother again at the store im certain she would remember me.

EverLastluv

I dont agree in dumping a relationship for 3 years that was "amazing" for someone you did not see for 4 years!

I would have initiate contact first! before letting go of your 3yr gf. You have to first get to know each other and start off at least being friends againg right? then see what happens... If you think its heading for what you desire then you let go of your gf. since you already did so good luck with your plans ;)

• Author
I dont agree in dumping a relationship for 3 years that was "amazing" for someone you did not see for 4 years!

I would have initiate contact first! before letting go of your 3yr gf. You have to first get to know each other and start off at least being friends againg right? then see what happens... If you think its heading for what you desire then you let go of your gf. since you already did so good luck with your plans ;)

I've considered this too. But don't you think that's kind of worse? If I had my gf there just as a placeholder for possibly someone new? I thought it'd be best if I had just let it go completely that way im not playing that game.

todreaminblue

hearts are foolish creatures......child like and dreamy.....keep that heart and follow it.....let it lead you....and its damn scary ....but do it....have no regrets in your life and especially in love.....deb

• Author
hearts are foolish creatures......child like and dreamy.....keep that heart and follow it.....let it lead you....and its damn scary ....but do it....have no regrets in your life and especially in love.....deb

I didn't ask for it to be this way you know... Ending the relationship was the hardest thing I've ever had to do in my life. It's like a test put before me that I felt I needed to transcend. I cursed my heart for many months, and now I yield to it..

Thank you for your words.

supportlove

Do it! At your age, you should try anything you want. Even it will make a completely fool of yourself. At least you won't have regrets in future. It's cute of you to do this right now. Would be really pathetic if you broke up a relationship for a crush years back once you grow older.

Poor ex girlfriend. You jerk! Lol

Edited by supportlove

I think you're right, woman feels, that man don't love her/ if love Nat you should try. But remember, she maybe changed during last years.