29 year old female and 21 year old male - any hope of getting back together?

Med Student

Why does a guy go all out for the first 3 weeks and then backs off when the girl gets into the relationship?

I met someone and everything was wonderful, then all of a sudden he starts behaving weird, getting easily pissed off or annoyed. While I start getting upset at this behavior. He then says that he can't handle a relationship while he's in school. It boggles my mind - that he could behave in such a way as to assure me this is what he wanted and then run the other way. No other woman is involved.

Even though we both agreed things went too fast, we're suddenly just friends. Granted, he said he wants to hang out ...my heart feels broken after this because initially everything was so perfect. He even had had a crush on me for the 8 months previous to actually even talking to each other - as we study at the same coffeeshop but never really talked to each other until this year.

The main issues included the fact that he's only 21 and I'm 29; he's focused on getting into med school (which he's not even applying here) and I'm a 2nd year in med school - so we are both focused on studying; and neither of us has money - which really isn't an issue because we can figure out doing inexpensive things.

We've fooled around, but have NOT had sex - because I want him to get tested (I've already been) and we both agreed that we need to get to know each other.

Is there any hope of getting back together?

He's young, so he's acting young. Glad you did NOT get too involved physically. I would take him seriously when he says he doesn't really have time to give you what you want.

If you continue to see him, beware falling into a FWB situation.

Men are unreadable. I don't know why they back off like they do, and then come back, and then back off again...it's a weird cycle. I doubt the age difference matters too much.

In my case, I'm 21 and my ex he's 29...so I'm in a switched up situation to yours. My problem is my ex acts like he's 15 emotionally.

Good luck.