What's going on here?

Hello Everyone,

First of all I’d like to introduce myself, my name is Tim and I’m 25 years old. I am new to this forum and was really hoping you could help me with my situation by sharing your views, insight and giving me some advice on what to do.

Roughly three years ago I was in a long distance relationship that lasted for about two years. The relationship was not perfect and we had some issues within those two years which caused us to break up a couple of times (for short periods of time), but we always got back together. This was until she broke up with me while visiting me three years ago. At first she removed me from all social media and wanted no contact. This no-contact did not last very long as she unblocked me from Skype and said she wanted to stay friends. I didn't think it was a problem to stay friends however, what I did find a bit peculiar was that I was the only ex she ever removed from her Facebook. We kept having minor chats and contact over the course of three years but nothing big or deep. She explicitly told me that we were friends but she did not want to share much about her life anymore. I let it go..

Until now! We have been chatting (and flirting) quite a lot the past weeks and I feel like I’ve been included back into her life. She has shared more with me in the past few days than she has shared with me over the course of three years. A couple of days ago I re-added her on Facebook and she accepted, which made me think a lot about where this is going. However, besides the long chats and flirting there are also the times when she replies with just a smiley, instantly killing the conversation, leaving me unsure on what to do.

First of all what do you guys think, what's going on here? (Possibly a new chance?) I also wonder how you respond to just a smiley in chat, and what it means.. Any help would be much appreciated!

PS. It might also be worth mentioning that we never broke up under hostile terms and always stayed friendly.

Totally understand your apprehension. I've been there.

But think about the longer you get close to her again, the more you become attached...and if it's not a good reply from her, the more you will be hurt.

The sooner you do it the better mate, good luck.