Is there anything that I can do or say?

Maverick007

I joined the Navy earlier this year. I came in looking to work, and get advanced. That was the plan, and it was going well until halfway through my first deployment.

I met this girl on my ship. She is a BM3, basically one of my supervisors. I was actually not interested in her at first. I liked another girl. One liberty port changed everything for me though. I got really drunk that night when pretty much everyone from my ship was at the same bar. This BM3 and I apparently talked for well over an hour. At the end of that talk I said to her, "I don't care what anybody else thinks, you're a 13. No a 14". I had no idea that I said that for about two weeks.

One night, I was in the boatswain's locker, studying for my ESWS qualification with said BM3. My LPO and my ALPO were there as well. After my LPO said he doesn't care if I date anyone on the ship, just try to keep it out of the division. I was confused, and after a little prying, the BM3 finally told me what I said to her that night on liberty. Remember, until this point, I was unaware of this. About a week goes by, and I finally had a dream that made things clear that I did in fact have feelings for her. When I think about it now, it was very obvious that this was true.

When I finally talked to her about it, she felt the same way, and told me that we would wait until after deployment to figure this out. I agreed, but waiting a month and a half was harder than I thought it was going to be. I was so excited and happy that I had to tell someone. I told a few people, and learned that I could not trust one of those people I had told.

Anyways word got around that we both liked each other, and another BM3 ended up talking to her about it. This probably scared her. I mean, people dating in the same chain of command is frowned upon in the Navy. Even though I could name numerous examples. We eventually talked, and she told me that it wasn't going to happen.

I haven't really talked to her since, except for when there is a group of people around. I still see her look at me the same way as before K said anything. She still laughs at my stupid jokes. She still brags about me to other people on the ship. I believe she still likes me, but is just too afraid of the consequences.

We are now in stand down, and don't see much of each other. I planned on saying something after stand down, which is in about two weeks. I really don't know if there is anything I can say that will change anything. I do know I have to try. She's the most amazing girl I have ever met. No one else I have ever met even comes close to making me feel like the way she does. I want a second chance, and I think I deserve one. I had no support system outside of the people on the ship. That's why I felt like I had to talk to someone on the ship. I didn't do it out of spite or malice. I just had to talk to someone, or I would have went crazy.

What do you think.

Sounds like the Navy is a lot like highschool...

If you're interested in her then do something about it. "Frowned upon" and "against the rules" are two different things. Figure out what you want and give it a shot. At the very least if she says no you'll lose that "what if" feeling.