Guy calls out of the blue after 8 months

Over 8 months ago, I stopped talking to a guy that I had been seeing from time to time for about a year and a half. I would get annoyed with him because he would put little effort into hanging out with me. Because of this, I really didn't put any effort into hanging out with him either. I do have to say that he would always answer my texts & if I asked him to do something, he would usually do it. Most of the times that we did see each other was to have dinner and watch a movie at his place. I have a lot of guy friends and he would always make comments to me about me having a lot of them or knowing a lot of them. The guys truly are friends, I have never hooked up with any of them. One day I got so annoyed, I finally told him that he has no right to make comments about me having guy friends because he was not my boyfriend. A couple of months went by and I started to just give up on the situation. One night I saw him out at the bar and he text me from across it, saying that he saw me. I just ignored the text. I then went to say hi to a group of guys that I know and he came up behind me and put his arm around my waist from behind to pull me back towards him. I got so mad, I just glared at him and walked away. I felt bad but he needed to know his place. Then he text me later, after I left saying "so...tonight was kinda awkward". I just replied back, saying that he had made it that way, that I was over it and it just wasn't what I wanted because he never brought me around his friends or take me on dates or make me anything more than a booty call and what he did was messed up.

That was last July and now 8 1/2 months later, I got a call from him on Sunday. He said that he was calling because he wanted to say hi and see how I was doing. He is in the middle east for another 6 months so I know he can't be calling me to try to hook up. So why did he call?