Complex Pt.2

MyHeartTakesOver

MyHeartTakesOver

Background here: http://www.loveshack.org/forums/breaking-up-reconciliation-coping/breaks-breaking-up/341576-complex

Last night, about 11pm, I had a missed call from a number I didn't recognize. I called it back about 15 minutes later. It was my ex partner calling me from his new girlfirends phone (I presume she was present in the room with him though I didn't hear her in the background).

I asked what he wanted and he said he'd felt low all day because he knows that I'm not happy and my happiness is a "precondition of his own". He said he loves me "with all that he is" and that he's heartbroken that we didn't work out and the thought of me not being in his life is horrific to him. He also said he doesn't want me as his partner but as a person in his life that is way beyond the kind of relationship one has with friends or even family.

I told him that no I'm not happy with either him or the way things are but that making myself happy doesn't depend upon having a man in my life. I told him that I love him too and always will but that the man who can make me happy is still out there and I will find him.

We hung up and an hour later I got a text saying "whatever happens know that you are truly loved". I cried myself to sleep.

What do I do here? I know him through and through and I know that every word he said last night was genuine (his words aren't always genuine - this time though he wasn't playing around). I can't deal with the pain of this anymore but if I cut him out, the pain I'll feel at his loss will leave me even more miserable. I can't even allow myself to consider getting back together given what he has done and he doesn't want that anyway.

Is he still in love with me but we've damaged each other so much he feels we can't happily live together so he's making best of a bad situation? Does it strike anyone else as odd that he'd say this with his girlfriend nearby enough to let him use her phone?

I woke this morning again thinking the best thing for me to do would be to take a walk into the sea. Please someone help.

The pain of cutting someone who doesn't want you is brutal but transient, so totally worth it in the end. Please don't walk into the sea, in a few months/ year maybe you'll wonder what you saw in him at all. He wants to be the good guy in all this that's why he's calling. Don't entertain them, he's your past, and now it's time for better things in your life.