should i not get caught up in the semantics?

Starlight Starbright

Starlight Starbright

So I went to get a haircut from my hairdresser last night, and she said she already knew about the breakup because my ex had gone in for a haircut a couple of times since we broke up (I had introduced him to this hairdresser).

WELL, she told me that when he told her about it, he said that the two of us were "taking a break". She said those were his exact words.

Anyone know why he would say that? At no time did him and I say we were taking a break, it was a definitive breakup.

He broke up with me because, even though he still loved me/was in love with me, he said he wanted to just be single and focus on himself. He said he felt smothered by our relationship. I remember that in an email he wrote me right after the breakup, he said "I think we both know that right now, this is for the best." He has told me that he hasn't ruled out a possibility for us in the future, but it wouldnt be any time soon. But he has since told me that he had no intention of getting back together (after I called and pressured him to tell me whatever I needed to hear in order for me to move on) .

I have been NC for 4 weeks now. I recently got a myspace IP tracker and it shows he's been looking at my page from work every day this past week (thanks for the idea CaliGuy). Also, a couple of weeks ago he tried to communicate passively by setting his Gmail chat status to an inside joke that we have between us. I KNOW he is thinking about me and missing me.

Should I be reading anything into this "taking a break" comment he made? Would a dumper ever think of a breakup as a "break" to him/herself but not tell the dumpee that that was what they were thinking?

FWIW, I don't have myspace or a myspace tracker. I have a regular web site and the logs showed me she was visiting.

Peronally the web site visits to me say little other than she is thinking about me. She hasn't made any effort to contact me so please, don't get yourself wound up about the visits.

If they really wanted to be with you they wouldn't be wasting their time on your web site. They'd be calling you.

no just stick to the NC. people are weird they break up with you but visit your site from work and whatnot. just because they dumped dosnt mean they cold turkey stop caring regardless of how they seem in person cold or whatnot they care more than u think but they just think this is best for them right now and there probably right sorry to say but they might be wrong too and thats when u might get them coming back after awhile.

• Author
Starlight Starbright

Yes Caliguy, I know the myspace visits mean nothing. Even less in my case than yours b/c my ex can be on myspace for any multitude of reasons and its pretty effortless to click on my profile once he is logged on. At least with you, she is making an effort to go that that page for you and you only.

But aside from that, about the whole "taking a break" comment . . . should I read nothing into that? It wouldn't change my course of action, I would still maintain NC regardless of my interpretation, but I guess I'm just confused why he would tell anyone that.

Once again, does anyone think sometimes dumpers think of a breakup as a "break" in their own minds, but don't tell the dumpee that that is what they are thinking and instead just tell the dumpee to move on? Would there be any reason for doing that?