Complicated with the ex

So, here is my story in a nutshell. I was with my ex bf for only 5 months. We went really fast and fell in love. I really fell hard for him and we told each other that we loved each other. We said we wanted to be together forever. He told me he had only ever felt this way for one person in his life... It happened to be a girl he dated a few years ago, who went back to her husband.

So, last month, his gf before me, who they had dated a year and a half, off and on, came to him after she was dumped by her then bf, and asked him to get back together. She knew he was with me since they were still, "Friends". But, he knew he loved me like no other. Well, after a few weeks of him being "confused" he chose her because it was easier. He had a history with her and with me, it was scary and he was afraid of getting hurt. So, now, it's been almost 4 weeks.

I miss him terribly. I would love to get back with him. I keep thinking he will see that he really loves me and not her, that she is just comfortable. But, at this point, they are practically living together as he stays at her place almost,if not, nightly. I wasnt' the only one that he told he felt that way about me. So, why would he choose someone he didn't love the way he loved me? Is he going to be happy with her? And will he come back to me? And if he doesn't, can we be friends? We haven't talked or had any communicatin for 2 weeks.