Talking about suicide

john1776

Is it true that people who talk about or threaten suicide never follow through and never do it? Is it illegal to threaten suicide on an internet message board or chat room? If so what are the severe penalties for such threats?

leopardprint

Um, I don't think it's illegal to threaten suicide on the net, but someone will have to google that just to be sure. There's nothing wrong in informing someone about it, like someone close to them (parents or friends or siblings or significant others, or even the authorities).

I think, in some respects, it's true that people who talk about it, usually don't do it. However, you can never be sure; there's always that once chance that they could be serious, and they told you or posted it on the net because they were looking for help or reaching out for somone. I wouldn't take a friend who's talking about killing themselves lightly. I would really be there for them, and try to help them through their depression.

I think the number one rule is, to never degrade someone about their ideals on suicide. As in, never tell them they're dumb or stuipd for thinking it. Let them know it's common and people all over the world feel like they've hit rock bottom all the time.

Also, don't do the grass is greener thing. Never tell someone, "You think YOU have it bad! Well you DON'T! There are people dying of diseases and war! You're being ridiculous!" It makes the person feel even worse of themselves, because now, they feel guilty and ashamed of themselves for thinking all of that.

What you want to do is make sure the person knows they DO have people out there who care deeply for them. Let them know how hurt you would be, and how much YOU, personally, care about them. Let them spill all their thoughts, troubles, needs, and fears to you, and listen to ALL of them. Give them as many ideas and solutions to all those problems, whether you know or don't know what you're talking about, let them know there are ALWAYS different paths and solutions to life's hardships.

Let them know they are NOT alone.

It is usually a cry for help or an attempt to manipulate. But not always. Either way, the person doing it is not mentally stable and needs help of some kind.

leopardprint

:laugh: magda basically summerized everything I just said.

I need to learn to keep it short and to the point. :laugh:

leopardprint
And I was impressed with how fast you type! :laugh:

Ding! Just replied to your last post in "Just need someone to talk to..." and now I'm replying here. Don't under estimate my mad forum whoring skills. ;) I told you I was addicted to the net.

But it's nice to see someone up this late like me. Don't feel so alone. :)

/end_thread_hijack